1997 zxi 1100 need some feedback

Need some feedback from you guys I already own a 2002 gp1200r , looking to buy another pwc , but an older one for doin trick and jumping waves and also let the gf use it when im out on the gpr, looking at a great deal on a nice condition 1997 kawaski zxi 1100, I know they are pretty fast, I here bad on gas though and you have to premix the gas with the oil before hand instead of oil mixing itself in. Is this true, how many mph do they go and are they a reliable ski usually, do the engines usually go along time or usually rebuild opten , some feedback would be great

+1
    The 1100 ZXi is a fun, reliable 'Ski. They came with oil injection, but the one you're looking at may have been converted to pre-mix. I had a '96, which had a different hull from the '97s. Not sure how handling compares, the '96 had holes in the hull that created bubbles around the ride plate, reducing drag. They also made the hull unstable at speed, so Kawasaki changed it in '97. Mine would jump & spin very easily, and was pretty quick.

If the one you're looking at has oil injection, I would suggest replacing the oil lines. Like most of these 2-strokes, piston/ring life is about 200 hours.

Value for one in good shape would probably be $1600 - 2200, depending on your local market and condition.

my 99 zxi has the air ports in the hull, i think the earlier models did not, shows 65 mph on the dreamo with 240 lb rider, i find mine to be very dependable and lots of fun, oil inj disabled/premixed, if its out of the picture it cannot cause problems.

where you located yamahawave, mine's for sale but i am deep south/coastal.

Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    my 99 zxi has the air ports in the hull, i think the earlier models did not, shows 65 mph on the dreamo with 240 lb rider, i find mine to be very dependable and lots of fun, oil inj disabled/premixed, if its out of the picture it cannot cause problems.

where you located yamahawave, mine's for sale but i am deep south/coastal.

Toronto!!!

post pics of the gf before buying.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 123456 View Post
    my 99 zxi has the air ports in the hull, i think the earlier models did not,
    I stand corrected. The '96 models did have it, but they changed the front of the hull for later years. Actually, Kawasaki took the ZXi off the market for the first half of '97 until the problem was corrected. You could be riding along at full speed in glassy water and the 'Ski would suddenly flip over for not apparent reason. If you happen to find a '96, it MUST have a fiberglass bowl, about 10 inches in diameter, mounted on the front of the hull below the water line. If it doesn't, don't buy it. I've heard that the parts are no longer available from Kawasaki.

that would be a wet experience for sure, riding along then come up like what just happened.

Thread Information