Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Rotary valve cover alignment HELP!!!!!

Help!! I rebuilt the carbs on a 1992 GTS 3 seater, and blocked off the oiler. I dont think that i messed up the rotary valve cover alignment, but anything is possible. Im getting fuel & spark, but it will not start. even spraying starter fluid in the carbs doesnt help. Does anyone have any ideas on how to align it without pulling the motor? Ive read the service manual, and I don't understand it.

Ok. I aligned it as close to what the book said as I could. Tried to start it, and looked at it again. The valve cover isnt moving AT ALL. I dont know enough about the rotary valve to know what im looking at.......

The cover really only goes on one way - the rotary valve (round disc behind the cover) is what needs to be timed to the motor..
    If you look into the intake port you should see the valve spinning to open and close the intake port as you crank the motor..

The valve cover isn't spinning at all. I'm not sure what to do

+1
    there should be a faint line scribed behind the rotary disc, and also a pimple on the engine casing were the faint line should be about 11 o clock put number 1 piston at top dead centre, the piston at the front of the engine, then put the rotary disc to match the (pimple) or line, thats the timing done

+1
    for further info check out seadoo rotary valve timing on youtube

The cover does not spin - the valve does..
    If the valve does not spin the rotary valve, rotary shaft or rotary gear is the issue..
    You need to pull the rotary cover, rotary valve and rotary shaft and inspect them.. The rotary valve gear is brass and it meshes with the crankshaft gear and that brass gear is what gets chewed up..

If you do not have a manual, You can download one from here - www.seadoomanuals.net

Thanks so much for the info. The rotary valve doesn't turn with the crankshaft. Yay. I looked at the service manual, looks like I have to pull the motor & split the cases to fix this.

You can pull just the shaft - but any repair would require splitting the cases - if not just to clean the brass off the crank gear.. That crank gear is also known to get moved on the crank pin..

So I can replace the brass gear without splitting the cases? How might a fella do that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information