Thread: gelcoat

+1

gelcoat

I'd like to repair a few of the scratches on the front of my ski and after doing a bit of research, I've found the product pictured below. Based on what you can see in the picture of my ski; will this product fix my scratches if applied properly? I also have a few large, and semi-deep, scratches on the bottom of my hull (1/8 of inch deep) that I'd like to repair. Will this product fix those as well? Thanks everyone!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FXHO scratch.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	278694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gelcoat.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	278695

+1
    I'd like to know the answer to that too. My XLT 1200 has some scratches in the white gelcoat that are grey and black underneath.

All modern Yamaha skis are painted not gelcoated. Plus you would not want to use a polyester product (which is what Evercoat is) over an epoxy system (which is basically what SMC is composed of..............polyester does not stick well to epoxy). Your best bet is to look at West Systems or Marine Tex epoxy repair kits to repair the deep gouges, and then apply a coat of paint over that. Matching paints can be found at: http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-step1.cfm?type=4

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest T View Post
    All modern Yamaha skis are painted not gelcoated. Plus you would not want to use a polyester product (which is what Evercoat is) over an epoxy system (which is basically what SMC is composed of..............polyester does not stick well to epoxy). Your best bet is to look at West Systems or Marine Tex epoxy repair kits to repair the deep gouges, and then apply a coat of paint over that. Matching paints can be found at: http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-step1.cfm?type=4

Ernest T is correct our yamis are pain not gel coat at least the modern ones. I recently had a big scratch were I could see the fiberglass and everything and I got it fixed with Dave @ london Boats I wish you were in south florida he would of taken really good care of you. But other than that you gonna have to stick to colorite.com

+1
    Man do I love this forum! Thanks for saving me 50 dollars and a whole bunch of frustration when it didn't work properly. All you guys and gals of this forum are great, thanks again!

+1
    Use marine tex make sure you don't put too much catalytic or it will not get harder. It's easy to sand and then paint it don't add any tint pigment it will make the marine tex softer i'm telling you because my own experience. Also go to a auto paint supply and they will match the black paint and make you an spray it's cheaper than colorrite and good paint.

+1
    Great advice Cuban, thanks! I got a quote on painting the front of my ski today and the estimate was 250-300 so going your route should definitely save me some money. I'll do the bottom of my hull as everyone has suggested and depending on how it comes out I may even do the front. Thanks a bunch.

+1
    That color rite looks like some good chit... I think Ima pick up some to touch up some scars on mine

I had some scratches and a gouge on the bottom of my VXS, so bought the West Systems epoxy and hardener. I had some of the 403 micro-fiber filler around the garage from another job i was working on, so mixed a bit of that into the epoxy for the deeper gouge. This stuff worked great. Just be carefull if you go this route to make sure you get it in pretty smooth because on the first application i left it just a bit above the surface figuring i would just wet sand it smooth .... forget it .... this stuff got so hard that i had to crawl under there with a belt sander to smooth it down to get it level with the surface of the hull. After learning my lesson on the first go around i mixed up another batch without the micro-fiber and SMOOTHED it on/in and when it had cured, a bit of wet sanding and it was ready for paint.

Thread Information