Cool Please help cant find the damn C-clip on my drive shaft 2008 RXPX

Have a leak in the ski. Put some water in it and discovered it was coming out the drive shaft. Purchased rubber bellows boot that the carbon ring sits in, the carbon ring, the o rings in the top hat collar, a new top collar hat, a c clip. and the driveshaft bumper plug. I thought i thourghly looked through all the posts on this within this forum(followed those directions and they were very helpful untill this point). None had any good pictures which apparently i need.

To get a better view i also removed the super charger cut the rubber bellows(since i have a new one). Then there is a rubber boot directly against the motor(not the rubber bellows the carbon ring sits in). I took the hose clamps off it and nothing under that other then what looks like a stainless steel bearing???(on the end closest to the back this is in the middle of the picture). SO i got feed up and removed the pump before i could locate the c-clip(like this forum says not to) hope i didnt screw something up. It pulled out till it hit the carbon ring then top hat. Dont think i should try to hard if the damn c-clip is hiding some were. All the posts say directlly in front of the top hat towards the front of the ski. Picture is with the shaft pulled out as far as it will go with out force.

How dumb am i?? LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXPX shaft.jpg 
Views:	1075 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	278722  

+1
    The c-clip is underneath the top hat, it keeps the top hat from moving forward. Put the pump back in with some sort of "spacer" in the prop splines. You will then be able to slide the top hat back to expose the c-clip.

Ok thanks!! I puled the hell out of it!!! But i iwill give her hell know!

+1
    You have a new top hat, so don't be shy about it. Might be easier to just cut it in half.

+1
    Just re- install the pump as above with a couple washers down inside the prop to stop the driveshaft from moving bacwards.

Then give the top hat a few taps with a hammer untill you see it free up then it should slide back toward the pump. this will reveal the c clip, slide it off with a screw driver then pull the pump off again and the shaft, you will need a new otieker (spelling) clamp to hold the pto bearing back inside the boot. make sure both are very clean and free of oil before you re fit the bearing and clamp.

Pretty easy job once you have done it once, it might be usefull to have another set of hands to pull on the shaft as you slide the bearing and top hat off the front.

The PTO bearing will most likely need a tap with a screw driver and hammer to free it off the shaft.

R88

It's out!!!!!!!! Thanks so much!

It's so odd the OEM detail drawing of the "propulsion system internal" doesnt show the PTO bearing. That threw me off when i started seeing extra parts. No one really mentioned replacing it or the o-rings inside the PTO bearing so i guess its good?? I checked the o-rings they look good??

Thanks!!

+1
    The bearing will be fine, but you will need a new clamp to hold it into the boot.

r88

How many hours are on your ski? Replace the C-clip!!
    A worn C-clip can get spit right back out at any moment while riding! I speak from experience...my engine was nearly sunk by the time I frantically managed to limp it back to shore just out of the no wake zone.

A worn c-clip can show some flat edges worn into it and that is enough to create slack under the floating ring which holds it in place. Too much wear = c-clip gets shot right out and bam, you're sinking like a rock!

And if your ski is built like the older RXPs, you'll need to order a new drivehshaft "bumper". Its the rubber plug that pushes right onto the front of the driveshaft. This almost always tears when you yank the driveshaft out of the ski. So, make sure you remove the rubber piece thats likely still in there so the new one fits when pushing the driveshaft back in.

Thread Information