Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

RXT-X or IS 255?

My riding is on the aggressive side but occaisionally have kids on the back and take it easy. Live on New Jersey coast and the bay can get choppy. I weigh 250. Is the IS suspension really worth it or just a gimmick? Please, any thoughts. Also what am I reading that the IS's have sinking issues? Thanks in advance.

I have a 2010 RXT iS 260 with about 45 hours on it now with no problems. I live on a lake which normally has wind chop and/or boat wakes. The suspension works!

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    The suspension works, but takes away any feel so if you're an aggressive rider you won't like it. I've ridden S3 hulls in the Barnegat Bay (assuming that's where in NJ you ride) and they're plenty comfortable to ride. I'd give them both a shot and see which you like riding better though, since everyone's different.

You may want to check out www.EastCoastPWC.net for a bunch of local riders (including myself).

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    I would find a 260 instead because the speed limiter bypass module Riva makes won't work on an 09 255. I love my suspension system. I don't feel any of the normal buzzing that most skis have from their engines and it turns sharp jolts into softer mushes. I ride in both protected water and open ocean and I find myself not having to stand up to ride across choppy water offshore most of the time. I don't get back/neck pain and am not worn out at the end of a ride. The only difference is that the ski will ride much higher, especially if you manually raise it all the way up (6 inches). You can lower it down to 1 inch and there is a dock mode which lowers it all the way.

I really enjoy mine.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by UNSANE View Post
    I would find a 260 instead because the speed limiter bypass module Riva makes won't work on an 09 255. I love my suspension system. I don't feel any of the normal buzzing that most skis have from their engines and it turns sharp jolts into softer mushes. I ride in both protected water and open ocean and I find myself not having to stand up to ride across choppy water offshore most of the time. I don't get back/neck pain and am not worn out at the end of a ride. The only difference is that the ski will ride much higher, especially if you manually raise it all the way up (6 inches). You can lower it down to 1 inch and there is a dock mode which lowers it all the way. I really enjoy mine.
    The 09 isn't speed limited like a 260 is so there is no need for a bypass module.

Try both, you loose some acceleration on the is because of the weight, that's my experience anyway when racing is models.

Banned User
    +1
    The iS ski's are a great ski when they work as they should. There is a little extra weight to take into consideration and they can get a bit 'top heavy' when left in the 'up' position and you're moving really slow.

I've seen a few OEM shocks blow from as little as 4 hours use... Mine lasted about 30 hours, but most rec riders will have their's survive for the life of the ski, just depends how you treat it.... The greatest killer of the shock is if the top deck isn't mounted perfectly straight (from left to right), followed by intense use over short period waves, usually found off reef systems or shallow waters where the waves are not able to coagulate into rollers or ground swell isn't able to develop.

Next things on the list to go are due to improper tightening of bolts for the top deck mounting plates (Including the C plate) and spring failure (Usually due to off-set from left to right or right to left). There are fixes for the C plate to improve its durability and its mounting.

I've spent a lot of time since 2009 making new parts/changing the OEM setup to make it 'bulletproof' for the riders that will absolutely abuse their skis (You can find these in Jerry's online store). For the guys that race, I've even gone to the extent of using water cooling / air cooling jackets around replacement shocks.

Its like anything, abuse it, and it may let you down... No ski is immune from problems, but the iS was and is plagued by many issues that I even haven't mentioned.

The cost of maintaining the iS is also higher due to the amount of time it takes to take the top deck on/off.

If you want it simple yet powerful, go without the iS. The S3 hull does cut through chop very well regardless.

The comfort factor is there with the iS and it is worth it when going on long trips where you may get fatigue in your body... It really is the ultimate 'couch' ski out there.

As stated above, you're best off going for test rides on both, before making a decision.

Wow, thank you all for the insight. @ CarGuy, yes - Barnegat inside Beach Haven. And I will check out EastCoastPWC.net. Always looking for friends and suggestions. @ Unsane, the top speed isn't as much a concern as rideability/More comfort when sitting down in chop because I need my wife's "buy-in"- basically I need her to enjoy riding it. I think she's tired of all my toys at this point that she never uses: ATV, two snowmobiles (two because my friends are too scared to challenge THEIR wives and buy their own and I want someone to ride w me), senseless convertible, senseless boat, dog.....haven't bought a plane yet.

So I am hearing there are extra costs to R&R of the deck, the deck alignment is touchy, and the shock can blow out. Well the first two are only about awareness and I don't go around the inlet to jump waves anymore (had a Yamaha GP1300R and it was a great wave jumper) so I can be aware of the alignment and I'll check out (thanks lolzer) Jerry's Store for the improvements.

Again, thanks all. And a couple more questions: any particular "indicators" a 255 RXT IS has been abused/desk misalignment?

And lastly: I flushed my Yamaha (ok, poor choice of words) each time I used it and the valve wasn't tough to get at. I see the SeaDoo valves are by the impeller/nozzle and if I sport-port the boat it looks like I'm going into the drink to get at it. My use is primarily salt water so is it suggested I flush this thing after every use?

Banned User
    +1
    Misalignment is usually pretty easy to see, either the side 'scraper' rubbers are very close to the fixed deck on one side (or even touching) and there is a noticeable gap on the other side... (This can be fixed but requires a few hours of work inc. removal of top deck) Or you can raise the ski to the 'up' position and look at the ski from dead-head-on... If it doesn't look central it is out. The front/back alignment shouldn't be a concern as its pivotal.

The only front/back alignment I'd check is by removing the rear deck cover and having a good look at both sides rear pivot mounts. Just give them a good check to see that they aren't misaligned from each other.

I have a little trick to see how hard its been bouncing (Not a 100% method): Lift up the seat, now follow the hold on strap to where they are fixed with large rivets in the seat... Take note and now have a look at the top deck, if you can see deep marks caused by the rivets pushing into the plastic, that maybe 1 indicator.

The other indicator maybe how firm the suspension feels while riding (Static test won't tell you much unless you remove the shock). If it doesn't knock and doesn't have any very sloppy movements while moving up and down, then it should be ok.

Thank you lolzer for taking the time to reply with a lot of info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information