+1

Broke motor mounts on my 03 GPR, build begins...

I was riding one day a few weeks ago and going over a wave all of a sudden I lost all propulsion. I wasn't sure what happened until i got it out of the water and started checking. The motor sounded like it was running OK but I did happen to hear a little metal on metal coming from the midshaft area. I looked through the pump and saw the prop was still spinning, I took out the pump and saw the driveshaft splines were ok, and finally I decided to pull on the motor and was able to move around the entire thing. I believe the metal on metal I was hearing was the coupler from the crank and the midshaft rubbing because the motor was out of alignment. Like the title says I managed to break all 4 motor mounts and since I had to pull the motor and had everything out, I decided I might as well put all the upgrades back in so I could take care of it all in one shot. So far my list of upgrades:

R&D plate
    R&D grate
    R&D power plenum filter
    VF3 reeds
    D-plate w/ chip
    1200 waterbox
    Wave eater power valve kit
    Tunnel Reinforcement with heavy duty brackets
    Pump shoe sealed
    H.O pump upgrade with 14/20 DF prop
    Riva free flow
    Upgraded driveshaft hose
    SHO nozzle bored
    All 6 new motor mounts(4 corners and the 2 underneath)
    The stock exit nozzle is 85 mm (I believe)

I have a stock unported PV 1300 and I've been doing a good amount of reading on the forum and at this point I feel like all that's left to do is possibly the pump wedge, milled head, EFI controller, and the sonic boom throttle bodies? Anyone have any info or feedback on these mods that are left or maybe any mods that I'm missing. I heard I didn't need a fuel controller until I started messing with compression but I'm still unsure about it. What behavior would I expect the ski to have if it was in need of an EFI controller? With the milled head is it just a new head bolted on with a new gasket? With the throttle bodies and the reeds will I need the prop to be repitched? Is an aftermarket tach necessary? There's a ton of knowledgeable people on here and again I'd like to do all that's possible while I have the motor out and have a safe, reliable, somewhat quick ski.

Banned User
    +1
    Port cases and jugs, lightened flywheel, controller, crank hd bearings trued as welded, Jim's or island ff mod, Reed spacer, prop reworked, Leo's pump wedge, sponsons, ppk, milled head, triples...... Never ending list ! It's how fat is your wallet!

+1
    Lol wallet was fat now it's dwindling, I'm not really looking to open the motor unless totally necessary, as far as triples it's my understanding you need an aftermarket ignition

Quote Originally Posted by GP03 View Post
    Lol wallet was fat now it's dwindling, I'm not really looking to open the motor unless totally necessary, as far as triples it's my understanding you need an aftermarket ignition
    GP03, your riding style and what you want from the craft along with what it will cost will dictate what you need... It`s good that you read some of the threads... Asking on a forum is going to get you opinions and most likely confuse the issue... read build threads and talk to people is what I suggest. The info is here, find out from those that have done the work, tuned engines and hulls for their riding experience and compare to what you want to do... remember foremost that it is the combination of the right parts working together to give you a well handling and running ski...

you can have a great performing single pipe ski... < That`s my opinion...

some of these mods will change the way your ski runs, and you may not like that. If your looking for reliability then keep the engine stock, do what you can to tune the hull and ride...

technology has changed somewhat with fuel controller etc, but it still remains that if you raise compression or add timing you will need to add more fuel and run premium fuel.

just in your list to upgrade, you have a good amount of $$$, start there and then see where your at and continue if you`d like... you can beef up the hull, and get the more efficient pump/impeller and add the normal plate and grate mods... trim tabs, etc etc etc...

Porting you better read up on how it affects hole shot/tuning etc and how this will change your riding experiences.

many people just read and regurge what they read. learn from credible members, and have fun with your build!
    anyone will sell you eyeballs when they see $$$, chose wisely, and enjoy!......

PS: read up on some of the SHO nozzle threads, bored and unbored have different characteristics...

Banned User
    +1
    Pale tell me your facts about porting, seems like your against it and triple pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    Pale - why so against porting? I'd love to hear your facts.
    not against porting, I have had ported vehicles before and actually measured the gains.
    most people have a idea of what they want, when going from stock to porting that is a modding extreme with little to no experience with small gains by adding other parts as most do. If the OP had all these mods listed and wanted more then added porting he would also realize the different characteristics porting offers. I read alot where people claim they want the best hole shot but porting is more for top end and ultimately a compromise when also dealing a way around to reach an acceptable holeshot by the end user. There is a ton of testing involved to reach the maximum performance gains, prop pitching, fueling (jetting, or EFI ecu`s) Woody has a great write up somewhere...
    I`ll say the 2 stroke section has quieted down alot in the last 2 years, some of the known tuners have moved on to bigger better builds even tho the 2 strokes remain for some...
    it was very good when you saw WFO, Woody, Hydro, Ross, Duke, Ben, Jim, and many more I`m forgetting debate all these mods and gains, but the info and testing results were real...

I`ve witness a few scenario`s and can say that the big bore and ported ski`s certainly do fly! they are like an on off switch, first you see them, pull the trigger, then you don`t... so I`m not against porting in any way shape or form, heck I even ported a RED MAX weed wacker back in the day and it ran for years... would take your leg clean off if you weren`t careful...

readers just need to be aware of all the pro`s and con`s...

Banned User
    +1
    Pale thanks for the reply! Trying to learn everything I can! I appreciate your comment as always, glad you stop in to give some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    Pale thanks for the reply! Trying to learn everything I can! I appreciate your comment as always, glad you stop in to give some advice.
    please don`t take it as sacracisms or demeaning.
    typing on the net can be skewed.
    I`ve learned alot from here and from these very same people mentioned and a few more like rocketmen and jay along the years...
    I do agree that educating and trying to decipher between the opinions and koolaids can be frustrating... but can say with confidence that the recipies for a well handling ski and fast ski wether it be race or rec are here within the forum...
    I am not the last say or always right and I learn from it, but I can try and offer my interpretation and experiences...
    ride on brotha!

+1
    Pale thanks for the reply I appreciate the time you took out to reply, as for me, I've done a lot of reading and hearing people opinions and it is like you said frustrating trying to decipher everything. With my situation my ski is for total recreational use, I don't race or compete in any way other than messing around with my friends I go riding with. As I mentioned in my earlier posts I'm just trying to do as much as possible while the engine is out because for me it doesn't make sense to keep taking things apart if I just could do it once. I'm not trying to go 100 mph but I'm trying to get in the 75mph range and I've seen it here on the forum with non ported engines. I have friends who love their 4 stroke Rxps and I want to be able to pull up with my little 2 stroke and hang. As far as my mods I feel like I might be close and I'm just looking for a little insight from you experienced ones out there.

Quote Originally Posted by GP03 View Post
    Pale thanks for the reply I appreciate the time you took out to reply, as for me, I've done a lot of reading and hearing people opinions and it is like you said frustrating trying to decipher everything. With my situation my ski is for total recreational use, I don't race or compete in any way other than messing around with my friends I go riding with. As I mentioned in my earlier posts I'm just trying to do as much as possible while the engine is out because for me it doesn't make sense to keep taking things apart if I just could do it once. I'm not trying to go 100 mph but I'm trying to get in the 75mph range and I've seen it here on the forum with non ported engines. I have friends who love their 4 stroke Rxps and I want to be able to pull up with my little 2 stroke and hang. As far as my mods I feel like I might be close and I'm just looking for a little insight from you experienced ones out there.
    with that said, reliability, fuel friendly (for what it`s worth) and decent speed are obtainable, but up in the higher 70`s will put a decent load on the engine with a taller prop, needing mods to support those speeds... at some point things become a compromise, more top end for the lack of strong bottom end and vice versa.
    sure you can build it to hang with the 4 strokes but your machine will likely be more on the edge.
    it all depends on what you accept as normal/daily routine care and taking the time for tuning and testing until you`ve reached your goal.

R&D plate> Jim`s or Island racing modded plate
    R&D grate
    protec or SHO nozzle, bored depending on exit/venturi size, and steering feel preferred...
    Riva Blue hose free flow
    step the sponsons.
    Reeds? the oem reeds are pretty darn good, if you want, get a spacer to pull them out of the boost ports. (Lowell, WFO)
    VF3`s are nice if you have raised compression and fuel controller to get the max benefits.

you have to have a plan, playful ski, or top end ski... and in between.
    read up in the How` to`s forum on ride plate angles and mods in general...

clean neat work add`s to speed, proper alignment of parts = speed... sealed shoe, proper depth...
    someone from LI NY once said there is speed under the hull, just have to find it...lol...

def need a good after market tach to monitor the rpm`s...

these are just some tips, good luck and have fun!

Thread Information