What should my spark plug gap be set at for best performances , what about indexing

Ok i have the new spark plugs that my ski should, have they are nkg something. Whats the best gap for my spark plugs and should i index the plugs. My ski is a 1995 yamaha waveventure with the wvt700 motor i think.

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha wave View Post
    Ok i have the new spark plugs that my ski should, have they are nkg something. Whats the best gap for my spark plugs and should i index the plugs. My ski is a 1995 yamaha waveventure with the wvt700 motor i think.
    follow factory spec for the gap... there is no gain with indexing or running a tighter or wider gap in your case...

Ok so why have a been reading that their is a gain, im not looking in hp gains just a smoother , fuel efficent way to burn the fuel

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha wave View Post
    Ok so why have a been reading that their is a gain, im not looking in hp gains just a smoother , fuel efficent way to burn the fuel
    really, you want me to type out a full explanation... Google and find out...
    IF max performance is to be obtained with modifications ie, compression timing, reeds etc etc then you might squeek out 20-30 more rpm`s if the plugs are index`d and gapped with a gapping tool like Jacob`s gaping pliers, some have even cut the ground electrode... and don`t quote me on those rpm variances...
    BUT in your ski you will not feel seat of the pant`s gains...
    there is more technical aspect of it, just doesnt warrant the full monty...

besides sounds like you have your mind made up, do what you want it`s your ski... have fun, good luck!

the factory heat range and gap is optimal for a stock ski, I think the engineers have that figured out...lol...

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    But aint they gapped correctly right out of the box????

Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by XLT Chad View Post
    now you owe me a new keyboard.

i just spit a mouth full of big mac-fries and coke all over it.( and as it is my keyboard has been screwely last few days..if you follow my posts)

How could a plug be correctly gaped out of the box when the same plug has differnt gaps depending on application?

that ole "they are gapped out of the box" are the words that come out of a hack mechanics mouth.

Now.... I can eyeball a gap and tell what it is down to .0000000001mm....

Gapping is as important as a visual inspection of the NEW plug before install ( hairline crack in the porcelin) and the "correct" way to gap a plug is with a round wire gauge..not a feeler of one of those champion pocket gauages ( still far better then believeing they are correct out of the box)

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    now you owe me a new keyboard.

i just spit a mouth full of big mac-fries and coke all over it.( and as it is my keyboard has been screwely last few days..if you follow my posts)

How could a plug be correctly gaped out of the box when the same plug has differnt gaps depending on application?

that ole "they are gapped out of the box" are the words that come out of a hack mechanics mouth.

Now.... I can eyeball a gap and tell what it is down to .0000000001mm....

Gapping is as important as a visual inspection of the NEW plug before install ( hairline crack in the porcelin) and the "correct" way to gap a plug is with a round wire gauge..not a feeler of one of those champion pocket gauages ( still far better then believeing they are correct out of the box)
    hahahaha Pete, you get a fries and a coke on me! +10!

(when I had them) The jacobs gapping pliers worked great for the larger gap`s and kept the ground electrode squared, gets a little tricky when your down @ .021, so old school method for years on those...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I still can't figure out the folks who say a br8es is the same as a br8es-11 if you "gap it right"

"that's a real special impeller...it has an anti cavitation gear..that's what there is so much room around the edges"

Watch for my memoirs..there will be some coupons for depends in the back of the paperback version

ever see the box guy at a dice table look over dice after the leave the table?..if you aren't looking at your plugs the same way before install, you may find out the hard way that it as a manufacture defect in the plug that allowed it to snap off in your head.

I learned the hard way..and more than once. Inspect new parts with great care

Thread Information