+1

Polaris SL 650: Can anyone tell me what year it is and tips on getting it running?

To make a long story short, a friend of mine with no previous watercraft experience has bought two watercrafts from his former neighbor for a very cheap price. He hasn't had a chance to pick up the registrations from him yet because of their busy work schedules so I'd like to identify what they are so that I could try and get them running. They have sat since 2008 or 2009 so I already know I'm going to have to drain all of the fuel and each ski is probably going to need a new battery. In terms of the battery, are batteries generic? Can I put any watercraft battery in each ski? Do you need to do an oil change on these machines or not since they are two-strokes? Do I just need to make sure the oil is topped off? Any help is extremely appreciated. One is a Sea Doo and the other is a Polaris. They are believed to be made somewhere around 1998.

+1
    The Polaris looks like a 1995, the last year they made the 650. Most ski's use the same battery. No oil to change on a 2 stroke. The fuel system should be completely cleaned. As long as the engine turns over, do a compression test before you go further to make sure it doesn't have major mechanical issues. There is also a thread on this site that tells you everything you need to check out on an old Polaris that has been sitting for years, before trying to ride it.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Looks like a 94 to me. Check the last 2 numbers on the VIN tag, that will tell you for sure.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=148277

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    The Polaris looks like a 1995, the last year they made the 650. Most ski's use the same battery. No oil to change on a 2 stroke. The fuel system should be completely cleaned. As long as the engine turns over, do a compression test before you go further to make sure it doesn't have major mechanical issues. There is also a thread on this site that tells you everything you need to check out on an old Polaris that has been sitting for years, before trying to ride it.
    Which thread? I've probably read hundreds of "how-to's" and stuff but not one with a simple break-down of getting one from storage to water ready...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RLACEMAN View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonrider10022 View Post
    Which thread? I've probably read hundreds of "how-to's" and stuff but not one with a simple break-down of getting one from storage to water ready...
    Disregard, I've seen it http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....c-on-the-water

Thread Information