Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Help with 93 SL750

Hello Everyone,
    About a month ago I bought a 93 SL750 and a 95 SL650. The 650 had a burned piston, the 750 would not start. I have used the following parts from the 650 to get the 750 going, pump, ride plate, reed valves, starter. I rebuilt the carbs with Mikuni parts except I did not replace the needle and seats. I have also rebuilt the original fuel pump. I made a return fuel line restrictor as mentioned here and installed it. The oil pump had already been removed when I got the ski. I am running 40:1 ratio of Penzoil synthetic 2 stroke oil. I also changed the fuel filter. The carb settings I am using right now are Low = 1/2, High 7/8 Mag, 1/2 Center, 5/8 PTO. I am using a new glass mat battery. The ski seems to be charging the battery. I have taken it out for tests 5 times now and have not had to charge the battery.

It starts ok and idles fine. It will run up to about 20mph and run ok. Any more than that and it falls on it's face back down to idle. It only died on me once but then restarted. When I pulled the plugs, the PTO plug looked ok. The other two were very oily.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Do you have a triple out let fuel pump on it? I would go and do a good inspection on the fuel system. Did you o a compression test?

+1
    I don't have the triple outlet fuel pump. I just rebuilt the original pump. Compression is 115 Mag and 120 on other two cylinders.

The inside of the engine and exhaust was coated in a black oil when I got it. The first time I ran it, it left an oil slick behind it. Isn't this a sign of running very rich? It has a primer on it. I am wondering if it is drawing fuel though the primer system while running. Is that possible?

you running premix so it should not be running rich. i would swap out the fuel and put the triple out put on it to be safe. so that way it wont fail on ya. i dont think it would draw any fuel through the priming system. how long did ya run it for. it may just need to be cleaned out. replace the plugs and recheck them. if its running rich you wont blow it while trouble shooting.

+1
    I have run it for about an hour total. I have changed the plugs 4 or 5 times. The ones in it now only have about 15 minutes on them.

then it sound like it running way to rich, try to lean it out. some one on here should be able to tell you how to adjust your carbs correctly.

+1
    I am going to take it over to the boat ramp today and run it in the water on the trailer. I will try leaning out the high speed screws a little to see if that helps. I am also going to clamp off the primer line to see if that helps. I cut the plug wires back yesterday also.

+1
    So I double checked my high speed carb settings and they are set to the specs in the manual. Popoff is set at right around 18 on each carb. I started it with the air cleaner off and reved it some and it is DUMPING fuel when I give it a lot of throttle. I am starting to wonder if my pop off gauge is correct or do I have bad needle and seats?
    Check out the video

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w...t=P7290867.mp4
    Last edited by Jeffery73; 07-29-2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Add Text

check the reeds. you could have bad ones by looking at all the blow back through the carbs.

+1
    Put in new needles and seats today. It's not dumping fuel like it was but now it's backfiring. I can see flames inside the carb bodies. It's about time to part this thing out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information