Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Seadoo 2012 GTR 215 VS. Yamaha VXR

So our 2008 Seadoo speedster 200 D.E.S.S. system has concked out on us. This has been the last straw for my father. We have decided to fix the boat and then trade it in for a PWC. Now my father likes the Yamaha VXR and I like the GTR 215. Now I would be extremely happy and grateful for either ski, but I must admit I would prefer the Seadoo. Now my father likes the Yamaha because of the reliabilty, simplicity, and that it has no Super Charger.

What are the good and the bads of the two PWCs?

P.S. I only 15 and this is my first time doing this, so an advanced sorry for if I did anything wrong.

+1
    I own the Yamaha VXS (similar to VXR) and have owned several SeaDoo RXPs (similar to GTR 215) in the past. It looks like the SeaDoo gives you more for the money, but does have that supercharger that will require some additional maintenance costs. It looks like the VXR is a little smaller and lighter which typically equates to more playful. I suspect the performance will be pretty similar on each. That's a tough call. I personally like not having to worry about superchargers anymore with my VXS.

How are you going to be using it? How many riders? What kind of water?

For this via google:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=541922

3. +1 by:

Thank you for posting.

The jetski will be used in large bay and very occasionally in the Gulf of Mexico. So it should see anwhere from smooth water to medium chop.

For the most part it will be me and maybe 1 passenger riding it. My sister and her boyfriend will also be using it. So 2/3 of the time it will be cruising around and 1/3 racing around.

Now after reasearching it looks like seadoo has been able to work out most problems with their superchargers. You still must do the 100 hour rebuild, but some people are saying that the new models with last to 200 hours???????

Is it true that the SeaDoo superchargers have become pretty reliable?

+1
    Trmacchi,
    Welcome to the forum!

For the same price, the seadoo has a lot of features standard that are not even availible
    on the Yamaha. I am in Key west riding right now with a bunch of Yamahas. None of them are Vxrs.
    There are some Gtrs and a lot of Fzs and shos. I have a new Px and am riding in Salt for the first time.
    I used my trim a lot yesterday, Never use it on glass water.

G`day TRMACCHI

We have an GTR215 with nearly 20 hrs on it and it has been awesome mainly used in the ocean, very good in medium chop etc
    great bang for buck e.g lots of features not even available on Yami

and yes they are now quoting 200 hr before the supercharger needs a rebuilt but hey time will tell, guess it also depends how you look after it

I am probably a little biased but I`m sure there will be plenty of Yamaha owners who will push their point of view
    good luck with your new ski, just enjoy it

Thank You to all.

It looks like you must go up to the FX HO to even start to compete with the number of features that the SeaDoo has. However that ski is a full grand more.

Now one thing that my father expressed was that he was interested in the S3 hull design. I know that the GTR 215 does not have the S3 hull. The GTX 215 (luxury class) does have the S3 hull. Is the S3 hull worth the extra money?

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    GTR all the way, every day.

way back in january, i saw my GTR for the first time:

Then I took her for a ride in california:

then hauled her all the way across the country, and dunked her in the Gulf (where i currently ride often now, from PCB):

Sea-Doo for fun, Sea-Doo for life.

+1
    We recently purchased a 2012 VXR and love it. Yes it does have less options but, it is quick , great on fuel , low maintenance , and a blast to ride. This is our first ski, but we ride with a couple that has a 2012 GTR and they are pretty much equal as to how we ride. I usually ride with my wife on back as well as our friends to. We both have 15 hrs and change and both have done the first services.with 2 riders from a dead stop the GTR has me til 40 mph, but then i pull ahead to around 65 mph. Not by much but enough. He does use his trim a lot and it seams not to matter what he does. Now when we are alone he takes me by about a boat length from 0 - 60. Alo The GTR is better in the rough stuff imo. Not sure if that helps. Good luck with what ever you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by TRMacchi View Post
    So our 2008 Seadoo speedster 200 D.E.S.S. system has concked out on us. This has been the last straw for my father. We have decided to fix the boat and then trade it in for a PWC. Now my father likes the Yamaha VXR and I like the GTR 215. Now I would be extremely happy and grateful for either ski, but I must admit I would prefer the Seadoo. Now my father likes the Yamaha because of the reliabilty, simplicity, and that it has no Super Charger.

What are the good and the bads of the two PWCs?

P.S. I only 15 and this is my first time doing this, so an advanced sorry for if I did anything wrong.
    When it comes to matters of "reason and resolve", the older generation is usually correct. (You guessed it; Pops is correct this time too). JB

+1
    I own a GTR, and my best friend a VXS. We have ridden both. There is like no storage on the VXS, only 15 gal. GTR has 30. Trim is very useful, VXS is rough when it gets choppy w/o trim. I was yawning when accelerating with the VXS. The VXS is better on fuel, and the hull inside is smooth and complete. My GTR is rough inside. Gauges on GTR are nicer and give you more info. VXS is small and very simple. GTR is easier to flush(back of ski), as the VXS is inside near the motor. Seadoo gives you more for the money. As for looks I like the GTR the VXS looks boring. In the end its your choice.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information