+1

Unhappy Tech help needed

I have a '97 Sea Doo XP. Starts fine, but then when the choke is off, choke plate open, it almost shuts off when the throttle is opened. Engine is up to operating temp. but still needs the choke on about half way. When the choke is held on, the ski run good. I set the needles on the carbs, adjusted the low jet to 1 & 3/4 turns out and the high speed jet to 0. Throttle response is very slow, even with the choke on half way, accelleration is slow.
    Any help would be greatly appreshiated.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    pull carbs, clean fuel filters in carb, replace grey line that with tempo name on it. replace fuel valve.

Seeing heavy buildups of green goo at the fuel valve is a sure sign of the problem

your engine isn't getting enough fuel. this is very very bad on the wrong side of expensive.

do search on "tempo" for more info

+1
    I had the carb off and apart. The fuel filters were cleaned, I have the gray lines replaced with black marine fuel lines, carbs are clean, no dead fuel. Lack of fuel is what I am thinking it is also due to restricting the air flow helps. My next step I think is going to be adjust the levers for the needles to give it more fuel.
    Which fuel valve are you referring to that should be replaced ?
    Thanks for the response Pete.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the fuel valve is the main fuel valve, you can test for this by bypassing and running carbs direct from reserve pipe.

replace the needles and seats if you have not done so..they are big troubles on older skis. Youc an also check for fuel flow thru the return line..it should be health at idle..perhaps the fuel pump diaphragms or pulse line is leaking

adjust the pop off pressure..if you don't have a pump/gauge set the float arms level wit the carb body. Plenty of pics around on that procedure. Your float arms are likely not allowing a big enough opening of the needle..or there is some goo in the needle/seat restricting fuel flow. A common place for crap to pile up is BEHIND the seat..always a good idea to pull and inspect.

going thru the system using a methodical method will gain the results

+1
    Carbs checked again. All clean. Needle arms set level with carb body. Fuel selector valve removed and cleaned. Fuel lines blown out going to the tank. Fuel filters are clean. Tank vent lines changed, check valves cleaned and tested. All good.
    Not sure where to turn to next. I still have to pull the choke on about half way to get the engine to respond to throttle. Even then, the throttle response is really bad. It will idle all day, but as soon as you hit the throttle, it bogs and then wakes back up. Still, I shouldn't need the choke on half way to run.
    Stumped !

+1
    Just found one of the accelerator pump spray nozzles plugged. That would give me a flat spot on the throttle. Still not sure if it is the cure.

Thread Information