+1

Ultra 150. Any years better than others?

I've been on the hunt for well over a year (craigslist) for a good deal on an Ultra 150. I see plenty of them in south and central Florida for decent prices. I know that the early, early ones required expensive spark plugs and I know that all but the the latest ones probably will need a pump rebuild.

Obviously I'm looking for a good deal on one with low hours but should I be looking for any particular year? I like top speed and these things are fast. Are any of them faster than the others? Lately I seem to be looking at the green Ultras but the red ones are way more plentiful.

I'm not in any hurry as I've already got two Yamis and I just got done with two 1996 Sea Doo Xps that I picked up in non-running condition back in January. They now belong to my brother-in-law. What a blast those two yellow skis are !

+1
    There have been a number of little changes along the way, but I don't know if most were improvements. You just have to be careful with parts interchangeability between years. This applies to starters, fuel level sensors, and I don't know what else.

The expansion chamber mounting bolts on the '99 were too small in diameter. They went to a larger bolt the next year. If you remove the expansion chamber on a '99, it's a good idea to drill out and re-tap the holes and install the later bolts.

Just don't buy a 99 lol ignition is different and it has purple numbers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    Just don't buy a 99 lol ignition is different and it has purple numbers
    Is this the Ultras that require the special, expensive spark plugs or all 1999 models?

+1
    Hull numbers 41803 and below require the expensive plugs. It ain't no big deal, they last for a long time. I'm still running the original plugs in mine.

Yes early '99 models required expensive spark plugs and needed the top ends rebuilt more often but were sightly faster. The older '99s -'02 had the slowest cdi units. In '03 the cdi units were improved, and they are a little faster and are almost as fast as the early '99s. The only other important improvement was the '05s came with the new style pump bearings. Do not send your pump to Impros to get the bearings rebuilt. I did and they put the old style bearings in and they didn't last 40 hrs. Send you pump to Skiworx and they will hook your pump up and w/ the new style bearings and it will last over 100hrs. The most important thing is the condition, fresh water or salt ridden, and price of the ski. Whatever you buy at least get the tripple pisser kit from Skiworx.

+1
    skoolball, thank you for the very detailed information! I've been leaning toward the '03s and later because I thought that all of them had the better pump bearings, they're younger and hopefully in better shape and I like the green. So it's only the '05s that have the better pump bearings?

I can find 1999-2000 red Ultras all day long but the blue ones, white ones and green ones are kinda hard to find.

+1
    I had an '02 Ultra-150 and when I re-built my pump - I installed the newer bearings in the pump.

I am certain if you get a ski - that rebuilding your pump is probably gonna be on your list of things to do within the first 12 months of ownership.

Pump rebuilding kits cost about 50 dollars for all bearings and seals from places like promarineusa.com

Good Luck !!!

Yes by '05 Kawi finally figured out a better design. You are welcome and the Ultra is a great ski. I also own a '97 SPX which is the same thing as your '96 XPs. The Ultra is better on fuel economy, but it doesn't have as fast of a holeshot or fun factor the seadoo has.

+1
    Spooling, if I end up getting one I will definitely install the newer pump bearings.

skool, those 787's are quite thirsty. Everytime we turned around, we were refueling. On the other hand, the fun meter was completely pegged out! The acceleration of the 787 X4's is incredible and the handling is just outstanding. I really need to find another one for myself!

I really like all out, wide open throttle running and I'm really looking forward to the top speeds of the Ultra 150.

Thread Information