2005 FX HO Need Help Possible Electrical Issue

Ok, been riding my FX HO and put 15 hrs on it since I bought it used...so its got 134hrs total. Thing screams like a banchee.

I've noticed a few times while riding that the security light will flicker randomly while riding and to this point, its never had any effect on the machine starting or running. But I'm just mentioning it because maybe it will be a clue to whats wrong.

So I rode last weekend and everything was fine. I think I did remember a slight hesitation when I first pushed the start button, but on the second push, it fired right up. Rode, came home and it sat all week. Went to start it up last night, doing a pre-check for a ride scheduled for today and it wouldn't fire. It seemed to click like it wanted to try and then nothing. After awhile, when I'd hit the start button, the bildge would kick on and the fuel pump would run for about 3 seconds and then it would shut off and the display would also shut off. Normally if you just tap the start button, the display will come on and stay on for about 30 seconds....not the case here.

I checked all of the fuses and they are good. I also pulled the battery, put it on charge and also ran it by the auto store and had it tested. It tested fine and its only 2 months old.

So I noticed that when I hit the start button that the security light does not come on, this might indicate that the security system is engaged? If I hold the starter down, the bildge will continue to run and the display will stay on for as long as I hold the start button down, but I still get no respone using my remote. I replaced the batteries in the remote and still no change.

So I checked most of the electrical connections and I also pulled the electrical box and opened it up and checked everything. So far, everything looks good. So to determine if the starter is seized up, I used a pair of channel locks and shorted the starter relay and it fired right up and the engine was running and sounded normal. Good sign right! So I pulled the starter relay and hooked it up on my work bench and tested it, 12volts does close the relay as designed, so the relay is good. So it seems the 12Volts isn't getting to the control side of the relay. This comes from somewhere down the line...

So, my friends..... Have any of you seen a problem similar to this? Could it be the security receiver box up front? Could it be the ECU? I see there are some other relays in the electrical box, but they aren't mechnical so I don't know how to test them.

Any suggestions? I'd love to figure this out without having to pay out the nose for the dealer to service it. Besides, I can order parts much cheaper than the dealer will sell them to me for.

Thanks in advance...

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Pay the 30 min diagnostic fee to have them find out what the problem is and fix it your self............

Yeah, nice thought... My local Yamaha Steelership wants $90 for a diagnostic checkout!

I guess that is my only choice at this point. If it turns out to be either the ECM or RCU, I will definately do those myself...dealer markup is crazy on parts!

Ok dealer called me today and said the wiring harness is faulty..

Anyone else seen a similar issue? Its quite the expensive replacement....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bhaskell View Post
    Ok dealer called me today and said the wiring harness is faulty..
    not exactly news you can use, is it? Obviously you don't want to replace the > $700 harness.

If you haven't already done this, you can start with a thorough visual inspection of the loom, particularly at potential rub or stress points such as around the steering linkage. You might spot a frayed, pinched or compressed area that will narrow the suspect wire bundle down for you. If you do find something obvious, you can splice in a repair then waterproof the repaired area.

Do you have a service manual? There's a detailed schematic of the wire loom in the back of the manual. Seems like you've done a pretty good job of narrowing things down. You can use the schematic to trace the wire that feeds the control on the starter relay and try replacing that wire with a temporary test jumper.

Worst case, you can pull the loom and use the schematic to test continuity (or resistance) on all wires and connector pins.

Thread Information