Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    beans76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    united kingdom
    Posts
    24

    polaris sl750 electric box/ecu help wanted

    hi guys new to this forum but hope you can help i have a 1993 polaris sl750 and the electric box is loaded with salt unknown to me and when we fired her up today a couple of cables have got hot and cooked a length of the loom (appears to run down to the oil pump) when we opened electric box its was loaded with salt cdi unit is workin as engine fires and runs but must have knocked a few things out as melted cables!!! is there any way around this or does it meen a whole new unit (these seem pritty hard to find) if any one has a link or knows more about were to find one or help repairing would be awesome


  2. #2
    Superd2K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    133
    +1
    3
    I have every piece of a 93 sitting in about three boxes. Well...except all things fiberglass. Let me know exactly what you need and PM me an offer.

  3. +1 by:


  4. #3
    beans76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    united kingdom
    Posts
    24
    hi guys sorry to be a pain! im lookin at getting a new/second hand electric box but want to find the problem first! as i said in me first post we had a lenght of cable melt while the engin was switched off after a flush but it must of been 20 mins after it was all shut down before before the cables melted what could have caused this?? could it be damp in the electric box? or a fault at the engine side? think the cable runs from the cdi unit down near the oil pump so i would guess the magnetto area? if i can replace the cables and clean up electric box and it works i will save some notes!! what thoughts have you guys got on this please share them as ski is getting on me nerves now lol

  5. #4
    BlueFishCrisis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medina, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    4,988
    +1
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by beans76 View Post
    hi guys sorry to be a pain! im lookin at getting a new/second hand electric box but want to find the problem first! as i said in me first post we had a lenght of cable melt while the engin was switched off after a flush but it must of been 20 mins after it was all shut down before before the cables melted what could have caused this?? could it be damp in the electric box? or a fault at the engine side? think the cable runs from the cdi unit down near the oil pump so i would guess the magnetto area? if i can replace the cables and clean up electric box and it works i will save some notes!! what thoughts have you guys got on this please share them as ski is getting on me nerves now lol
    Figure out exactly what cables fried. You only have one of several things. These may or may not apply to your ski, depending on how its equipped. Two wire loom blue and black - Oil sender. Two wire loom pink and black - fuel sender, 6 or 8 wire loom running to the handlebars, MFD harness. Multi wire loom running to the front of the motor, stator wires.

    IF it is the stator wires, and the black is the main one melted (which is common), it is possible that either your electrical box, which is metal and grounded to the motor via the stator harness, contacted the positive terminal on the battery. The black stator wire, which is around 16-18 gauge, was the smallest conductor and acted like fuse, disintegrating in the dead short condition.

    OR, the battery ground from the battery to the motor bed plate has a poor connection. This provides the negative feed from the battery to the starter. If this is a bad connection, the starter will try and draw power through the only good connection, the stator wire, and fry it.........

    Let us know what you find..

  6. +1 by:


  7. #5
    beans76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    united kingdom
    Posts
    24
    hi yes you are spot on been and checked cables and its the 6 cable stator wires as you said it runs down to the front of the motor and also on closer inspection in the electric box next to the cdi unit is the black cable that goes to earth has burned out and along the loom its shorted out the other cables

    i think your rite on your answer, in fact im certain the earth on the battery and the motor is not too good so as you said it found the next earth and only being a smaller gauge has fried it!!!

    your a bloody star mate!! do you think i can just repair the loom with new cables and sort out the earth to the engine and that will cure it???? rather than replace the entire electric box ???

    let me know what you think!

  8. #6
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,601
    +1
    1,276
    If you can successfully repair;
    the Stator cable damage and verify zero ohms between black stator wire and engine case,
    Any other fried thin Black wires inside the electrical box,
    AND clean up the black battery cable connection to engine bed plate,
    AND confirm zero ohms, good solid connection between engine bed plate and actual engine case

    Then it should work.

    Some guys have relocated the battery negative cable from the engine bed plate to the engine itself, thereby bypassing any electrical/corrosion issue with the bolts that hold the engine to the bed plate. Possibilities are one of the starter motor mounting bolts or one of the intake manifold studs. Just make very sure it is a solid and clean cable to bare metal connection at the engine.

  9. +1 by:


  10. #7
    BlueFishCrisis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Medina, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    4,988
    +1
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If you can successfully repair;
    the Stator cable damage and verify zero ohms between black stator wire and engine case,
    Any other fried thin Black wires inside the electrical box,
    AND clean up the black battery cable connection to engine bed plate,
    AND confirm zero ohms, good solid connection between engine bed plate and actual engine case

    Then it should work.

    Some guys have relocated the battery negative cable from the engine bed plate to the engine itself, thereby bypassing any electrical/corrosion issue with the bolts that hold the engine to the bed plate. Possibilities are one of the starter motor mounting bolts or one of the intake manifold studs. Just make very sure it is a solid and clean cable to bare metal connection at the engine.
    ^^^^^^^^^ What he said!

  11. #8
    beans76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    united kingdom
    Posts
    24
    bloody awesome guys gonna head out to the ski tommorow and start the re wire etc ! will keep you posted on my events with the job !!!but so far you guys have been life savers give your selfs a pat on the back and if i didnt live so far away i would give u all a case of beer each

  12. #9
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,601
    +1
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by beans76 View Post
    ... so far you guys have been life savers give your selfs a pat on the back and if i didnt live so far away i would give u all a case of beer each
    There is a Thanks icon under each avatar

    Pay it forward when and where you can.

  13. +1 by:


  14. #10
    beans76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    united kingdom
    Posts
    24
    hi again guys have been working on me ski only to find the cables have melted further than i thought well out of reach!! so had to remove the engine and remove the the stator cover and then the fly wheel now to reveal the stator and the wires!! the cables stopped shorting just before the the stator inside the housing so will have to join a new loom there! do you think the stator/magnetto is ok?? was working fine before it all shorted out just dont wanna put it all back in to find its bust! is there a test i can do or just put it all back in and hope for the best!! comments please guys!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 93 polaris sl750 drop tube holder HELP!
    By camybaby in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 08-12-2011, 02:13 PM
  2. WTB parts for a 03 polaris freedom. electrical box,wiring,ect...
    By fordpower in forum Polaris Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 10:12 AM
  3. Polaris SL750 splash guard install help
    By skigolfnut in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2009, 02:56 PM
  4. 2000 polaris genesis electrical box
    By pipp in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-12-2009, 05:26 PM
  5. Need 2000 Polaris Virage Electrical Box pic
    By sadams123 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-25-2009, 10:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •