only runs with choke out

was out riding my xp for an hour or two today went to start it again and it wouldnt start. I changed out the plugs and nothing. I pull the choke out and it turns right over and idles perfect. Carbs were completley rebuilt. Any ideas what the issue could be. I know the guy who put my new motor in said he added a little oil inot gas tank for the breakin process.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    is your oil cable connected and adjusted correctly? you could be getting too much oil. when the carbs were rebuilt did anyone bother to clean the carb screens or the fuel selector?

the screens were cleaned but the selector wasnt, i tried switching to reserve and still nothing. What gets me is it was running really good for a while.

I drained the fule filter and it fills right back up and theres fuel getting all the way to carb. would an air leak cause this?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    the selector is where I would start. pull it and give it a good cleaning. after that I would run it then pull the carbs again just to make sure that they are clean. did you check your oil cable and if its set correctly?

so I adjusted the idle screw and the low speed screws and it starts now just runs a little rich but that might be the oil in the gas im guessing

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    the selector is where I would start. pull it and give it a good cleaning. after that I would run it then pull the carbs again just to make sure that they are clean. did you check your oil cable and if its set correctly?
    +1

Oil wouldn't cause the motor to run rich unless it is an extreme amount of oil, gasoline does that.
    An air leak after the throttle plate would make the motor lean rev up on its own.

I would hope that whoever rebuilt the carbs set them back to fatory specs where I would leave them to break the motor in. I'm assuming the ski is stock since you didn't mention any mods done to it.
    If it started on choke then its telling you theres not enough fuel at low rpm, or the needle and seat is leaking.

is it a hard job to do, open it up and check the needle?

and yes it was set to factory spec, and it use to start on one push of the button, I mean this thing was dead on for the first hour.

Did you get it figured out?

Thread Information