Thoughts on Yamaha xl1200 ltd and gp1200

New to the forums and greatly appreciate any help. I bought a 98 Seadoo GSX and with it being my first jet ski ever purchased, I didn't know exactly what to look for... The seller was dishonest and water was getting in the crank, locking up the rod bearing, pitching the rod, and ruining the whole motor. ANYWAY, I'm taking my loss and getting rid of it and moving on to a Yamaha since I'm told they are much more reliable. I have found a 2001 Yamaha gp1200r in great shape but the guy says it has been sitting and needs carb work because it doesn't have full power. He claims that it has good compression on all cylinders. Would the carbs be the only reason for not having full power? I'm just worried about getting screwed again and don't want to have to do a lot of work. The guy wants $2,900 without a trailer, does that seem steep? My other option is a 1999 Yamaha xl1200 ltd. I've never rode a 3 seater. Are they harder to turn? How much power loss since it's a heavier hull? Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

+1
    Both those skis have the Power Valve 1200 engine. Carbs could cause power loss problems but so could a whole lot of other things. I would try to find someone local who is an expert on these PV 1200s because sometimes when they get expensive to fix when they go bad.

+1
    3 grand for a not running right 11 year old ski?? Trust me I learned the hard way... Buy a ski that is perfect unless you are able to fix yourself. My first ski was 5 years old when I bought it and ended up costing me more money than a new ski

+1
    He's right there. You could easily sink a ton of money into fixing a "not running correctly" ski. I've done it...but I won't do it again if I can help it.

+1
    I paid $2,800 for a pristine 2000 xl1200 ltd about a month ago. The whole engine had been rebuilt and brand new everything internally by someone that really knows what he was doing and put the d-plate and chip at the time of rebuild. Looks brand new with just a couple dock rash spots on it. Only has 103 hours on it and runs unbelievable! I got a trailer and a Yamaha cover with all the original manuals and everything with it. I have a lot of toys, but this is one of the best buys I have made as the ski is perfect! The previous owner was an older gentleman and his grandkids decided to put gas in the oil tank causing the demise of the ski..... now I got it and came ready to ride and has been completely problematic and is faster runs better than the couple 2004 XLT 1200 my father-in-law has. I have been watching Craigslist for about 2 month around here and a 1999 to 2001 xlt 1200's usually sell for about $2,500 to $3,800 on craigslist. I got a steal but a running ski of this time period I would feel comfortable with $2,800 to $3,300 on a low hour and running good ski.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I actually found a completely different one that I'm going to look at tomorrow and will most likely be bringing home. It's a 2000 Yamaha gp1200r Millennium Edition with 116 hours. Comes with a newer trailer, couple of life jackets, a tube, and some other accessories. The guy said it's in perfect running shape and recently had the carbs cleaned by a dealer and they did a compression check as well and all cylinders came out at 120 psi. Just from reading many other forums, I will be immediately putting on the Waveeater clips and replacing the oil lines- he has already removed the cat and replaced with a D plate and chip. He wants $3,000 for the whole package, which doesn't seem like a bad price around here considering season is coming to an end quite quickly. I'm sure this has been asked in another thread, but what exactly is the difference of the regular gp1200r and the Millennium Edition?

+1
    The millennium edition was built in 2000, that's all. There is no 2000 GP1200R that's not one.

Is it just a change in decals from the original gp1200r?

Thread Information