Thread: Oil on Plugs

+1

Oil on Plugs

I have a 2006 SX210 and have owned it since new. Babied, less than 100 hours on the engines. Yesterday the port engine would not start and I did the normal check of the plugs. The starboard engine did start but ran a little rough. I pulled the plugs on the port engine and they were dripping oil. Im thinking, oh crap! Pulled all the remaining plugs on both engines and found the same thing. I channged the plugs and then we took the boat out and ran for hours with no issues. The compression is good on both engines and all fluids were fine. Oil level was fine. The oil was clearly in the cylinders and splashed around when I tried to start the boat and soaked the plugs.

What could be the cause of this? I really don't believe there is anything wrong with the engines (it ran great after the plug change). The chances of it happening to both engines at the exact same time is pretty low. Help??

How did the air filters look? The oil level should be about 1/2 qt low. If higher it gets into the air filters then the motors.

+1
    Air filters clean. Im baffled. Looked like oil, right color, right consistency. Compression: Port - 190, 195, 190, 200 ; Starboard - 200, 195, 200, 195. Not sure what to think at this point, but this tells me the bottom end is Ok. I have a hard time thinking that the oil seals are worn out at sub 100 hours the way I have babbied this thing.

Good luck figuring it out. Might have to carry spare plugs. The only thing I've done to mine is change oil and plugs. Been a great boat.

+1
    If you over fill the oil, it will dump into the intake through the vacuum ports. I have had this too. It will consume/burn it if it's just a little bit, and the filter won't get soaked, which is the tell tale sign.

Thread Information