Unhappy 2005 RXP gave me grief today

Hi guys, today my 2005 RXP started playing up after about 2 hours in the chop. What brought it to my attention was when throttling I had a slight lack of power and a strange vibrating noise from my straight thru exhaust?! At first I thought it might be just me imagining it as the chop was quite rough and a strong 30 mph wind was gusting in the bay.

When I stopped the engine seemed to rev ok until there was sufficient load on the imp then it almost felt like it was misfiring! At this point I limped back to the slip.

So far I put ski back on trailer and flushed it out. Everything is where it should be, thinking im gonna pull the supercharger and check the slip? Does anyone agree or disagree with this, or have any other ideas. Charger did have titanium washers fitted and they have been in for 50 hours now. Ski is only 80 hours old total.

Any help would be appreciated.

+1
    Man I went through something similar. Check your couplers and free flow to make sure you didn't blow a hole through it. When you put a load on it, it would make a weird sound like you could hear the supercharger right next to your ear, I thought I had seized the motor. I'd ask if you had water in your hull, but I am sure from the rough chop you probably do. Easy to check just to make sure its not that.
    SHOOTER

+1
    sounds like you got water in your R&D air intake(which fouled a plug) from the rough water. Ditch that kit, and go for a Riva, or 4" kanaflex to the front area.

It's strange tho cos I didn't take on any water, I never seem to! Not that I'm complaining

+1
    if your seat gets wet enough, it will drip thru the holes in the bottom of it, onto that R&D intake(bad location). dosen't take much to make it sputter.

Oh right point taken, just strange it would start doing that when I've got through 2 winters of some serious waves. I have in my T break stripped out the entire exhaust and water box which was nearly completely bone dry, the supercharger and washers are there intact and in good condition (will check slip tho while out but left manual at home!) BOV pipe and choked throttle body, so clean u can eat ur dinner off it! And checked the plugs which all show they been firing and they were only changed a month ago....... Scratching my head.

What are these like for cooking coils? I need to man up and buy a candoo but funds are tight atm.

+1
    Check your pump too. neigbours did that, idled perfect but under load it seemed to be missing. turned out to be debris in the pump, wedged in ther and as it reved, it wedged more and caused what seemed like a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by jetmanjay View Post
    Hi guys, today my 2005 RXP started playing up after about 2 hours in the chop. What brought it to my attention was when throttling I had a slight lack of power and a strange vibrating noise from my straight thru exhaust?! At first I thought it might be just me imagining it as the chop was quite rough and a strong 30 mph wind was gusting in the bay.

When I stopped the engine seemed to rev ok until there was sufficient load on the imp then it almost felt like it was misfiring! At this point I limped back to the slip.

So far I put ski back on trailer and flushed it out. Everything is where it should be, thinking im gonna pull the supercharger and check the slip? Does anyone agree or disagree with this, or have any other ideas. Charger did have titanium washers fitted and they have been in for 50 hours now. Ski is only 80 hours old total.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers splishsplash, yeah I have been underneath it and it's all clear, I just managed to squeeze my hand in and grab the shaft, there is slight movement up and down is this normal?

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    Check your pump too. neigbours did that, idled perfect but under load it seemed to be missing. turned out to be debris in the pump, wedged in ther and as it reved, it wedged more and caused what seemed like a miss.
    i just had this problem two weekends ago. at first i couldnt see anything, but upon closer inspection i had a thorn stuck between my prop and wear ring. cruised at 35mph fine, but when i rolled on the throttle it would vibrate. look very carefully with lots of light or pull the pump. gL

Same type of problem my resinator box snapped in half leavening water in when the water hit the engine it turned to steem and got sucked in and fouled plugs so if you had water hitting the engine and turned to steem you would experience this change your plugs and ride flat water to test

Thread Information