Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2005 rxp vts

+1

2005 rxp vts

When I bought my Doo, the previous owner told me that the VTS was bad and it was going to be $600 to repair at the dealership. So I went looking around on the internet and found lots of motors for sale. I decided instead of just buying a motor, I would check the system out. SO I get out my powerprobe and my Fluke88V to start testing the system. Glad I did. The motor is good. I can spin it either way with my powerprobe. The switch tests good. All of my fuses are good. I have power and ground to the VTS module. My worm drive is free and I can power it up and down if I power the motor with my power probe. The only thing I see wrong with the system is that the bar doesnt come up on the display on the dash. So it doesnt tell me where the trim is set. But I believe because of that, it is not allowing the system to work. It says in the factory service manual, that the BUDS will test the functions of the dash. Will the CanDoo do this as well or do I need a BUDS? Will the dash display bar not being there cause the VTS module to shut down? At this point my gut is telling me it is the VTS module, but I am not sure that if I replace the module/motor assy it will bring the bar back up on the dash. I have a hard time believing the dash is bad, since the rest of it works flawlessly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

More than likely, it is simply because the VTS setting is not checked in the MPEM memory. (basically, VTS is "turned off" in software) This is very common on the 2004-2005 skis, if the battery is disconnected for a period of time, the MPEM loses its settings.

This can be reset by Candoopro, or by BUDS at the dealer.

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like the VTS module to me. With the VTS motor removed, when you wind the worm drive in and out by hand the bar on the dash should move up and down. The worm drive should be easy to turn by hand.

See page 302 from this download - http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/2006-seadoo.php

I know its from a 2006 but I dont think the 2005 manual has the Resistance testing in it for the VTS module.

Quote Originally Posted by Badvgood View Post
    Sounds like the VTS module to me. With the VTS motor removed, when you wind the worm drive in and out by hand the bar on the dash should move up and down. The worm drive should be easy to turn by hand.

See page 302 from this download - http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/2006-seadoo.php

I know its from a 2006 but I dont think the 2005 manual has the Resistance testing in it for the VTS module.
    The fact that there is no bar on the dash points towards the VTS not enabled in software. The MPEM and cluster don't know the VTS is there.

To much is never enough Badvgood's Avatar
    +1
    True Sea Dood - If the MPEM is not aware the VTS is there by it being turned off and needing BUDS, would it still send power to the VTS module then as he states he is getting power to the module? Have never tested for power at the module when VTS has been deactivated by BUDS or when having the indicator on the dash not present.

+1
    Yes the power is always present even with the VTS turned off. Im using that power for a bilge pump.

+1
    The indicator on the dash is not showing up. I have power at the red and black wired connector going into the module. With the motor removed I can spin the worm gear. I can also apply power and ground to the motor with the cover removed and move the trim up and done, but I never get any indicator on the dash.

So you guys are saying that if the battery is disconnected or dead for a while it could have erased it from the mpem. The problem started out of the blue with the previous owner from one day to the next. The dealer told her that it was the VTS unit and $600 to fix it.

Have any of you guys ever used one of these?

http://www.thetrimfix.com

+1
    Previous owner said that it quit from one day to the next out at the lake. She took it in to the dealer and they told her it needed the VTS unit that is buried way down low in the hull and that it takes hours to replace it, to the tune of $600. Me being a auto tech by trade and not trusting this dealer from other stories I have heard plus her stories from her, I decided to look at it myself.

The two pin connector that plugs into the VTS Unit with a red and black wires has power and ground to it. I can apply power and ground to the motor and it moves the trim assy up and down. When I pull the motor off the worm drive is free and turns smoothly. The switch on the handlebars is open until you push it and then it has resistance once you push the switch. I just do not have any display on the VTS side or movement once the unit is all connected up. I have a hard time believing that my display is bad, since the rest of it works fine. My gut tells me that I have a bad position sensor and it is pulling down the display.

Have any of you tried this:
    http://www.thetrimfix.com/

Paul

+1
    1+ have it turned on with BUDS of Candoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    The fact that there is no bar on the dash points towards the VTS not enabled in software. The MPEM and cluster don't know the VTS is there.

+1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2005 Sea-Doo Engine Service Manual.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	278938  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information