Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trouble w/ XP 215 AFTER Riva Washer Install

I picked up a pair consisting of an 05 RXP w/ ~45 hours and an 05 RXT w/ ~55 hours 2 weeks ago. After reading about all of the ceramic washer failures I decided to rip them apart before even riding them to upgrade the SC washers with Rivas. I swapped out the washers last week and went for the test ride this afternoon.

The RXT works AWESOME. Straight to 8100rpm with no trouble. Pulls hard from a dead stop and ripping out of turns.

The RXP...not so much. ~6400 rpm max. I immediately brought it back in as I didn't want to cause any damage.

Any suggestions?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    I picked up a pair consisting of an 05 RXP w/ ~45 hours and an 05 RXT w/ ~55 hours 2 weeks ago. After reading about all of the ceramic washer failures I decided to rip them apart before even riding them to upgrade the SC washers with Rivas. I swapped out the washers last week and went for the test ride this afternoon.

The RXT works AWESOME. Straight to 8100rpm with no trouble. Pulls hard from a dead stop and ripping out of turns.

The RXP...not so much. ~6400 rpm max. I immediately brought it back in as I didn't want to cause any damage.

Any suggestions?

Who did the upgrade? Just washers or full rebuild kit?

Sounds like the RXP isn't making boost...which could mean the spring washers aren't holding, or a hose isn't on...

I did both of them. Found the job pretty easy overall. I checked slip on both before I put them back in the machine. Both were right around 100 in-lb. From what I read that was within the factory tolerance for a stock setup. I did just the washers as I figured I had ~50 hours more on both skis before I needed a full rebuild kit and spending ~$240 sounded a lot better than ~$750 to get both skis "safe".

I've started dismantling. I checked the spark plugs, I don't see anything visually wrong with them. I'll probably swap to some new ones just to eliminate the variable.

I didn't see any hoses loose/off.

I plan to check the slip on the SC, but if it is within spec I'm not sure what else could be wrong on that end.

ac

I should also note that the ski didn't idle well. The RXT idled at EXACTLY 1800rpm. The RXP would fluctuate from ~1600-2400 rpm.

I pulled the SC and checked the slip. Looks to be ~80 in-lbs.

ac

Banned User
    +1
    I should also note that the ski didn't idle well. The RXT idled at EXACTLY 1800rpm. The RXP would fluctuate from ~1600-2400 rpm.

I pulled the SC and checked the slip. Looks to be ~80 in-lbs.

ac

Slip is fine then...

1600-2400, either a sensor got unplugged...or there is a vacuum leak.

+1
    Fresh or salt water?
    Boost leak? Check hoses!
    Vacum leak? Check intake.
    Intercooler pin hole water leaks? Would make it idle wierd and not allow it to run good up top with various symtoms as the worse the leak the worse the Symtoms

Fresh water, like glass today. Major overcast kept everyone off the lake. The RXT was pulling 8100rpm easy and showing great speed.

I took time to put everything back on very nicely. I used some hair spray on the SC-TB hose (a turbo buddy of mine suggested it).

Anything specific to look for with vacuum leaks? Any common spots?

How would I check the intercooler?

I put new plugs in (realized I should have beforehand).

I also drained the fuel. I had a bad feeling when I stopped at the fuel station on the way to the lake and it only took ~8 gallons of premium. That meant there was 8 gallons of "mystery" gas. The last reg was 2011, so I assumed that gas was pretty old. Drained it dry and I will top off with fresh premium on the way to the lake tomorrow to test again.

ac

New plugs and fresh fuel in.

I'm going to look over the hoses before launch.

I put a Seafoam treatment in the fuel.

Now that I am sure my SC is okay, I feel more comfortable doing on water diagnostics. Any suggestions for my test run this afternoon?

ac

Spark plugs and/or fresh gas = blisters from holding on so tight!

ac

+1
    Spark plugs and/or fresh gas = blisters from holding on so tight!

ac

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information