Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

I got ticketed for idling in an idle zone yesterday!

Yes, you read it right...MO. water patrol wrote me a citation for idling in a no wake zone. I ride a 2011 Seadoo GTS 130, they do kind of idle fast at 4 MPH, but not enough to get in a twist about. This guy was a real jerk, & wouldn't let me explain that I was idling...that's as slow as it goes. Anyway what I need is some hard evidene to take to court (yes I will be fighting this) to prove what speed & RPM the Seadoo 4 tec idles at. Also I read that it can't be turned down because it's all linkisd to the TPS & the MPEM, & that BRP sets them at this speed to maintain steerage when off plane...makes perfect sense to me. Any & all help will be much apprecieated!

+1
    Was it a marked "no wake" zone or a "idle speed " zone ?

I've been asked to slow down in a no wake zone-- I took my hand off the throttle to show that I was traveling at idle-- the LEO waved and motored onward (with a bit of a wake I may add....)

I think you're on the right track-- the vessel manufacturer's idle setting is designed to maintain steerage with a mimimum of speed.
    "Maintain steering" can be dependent on the conditions at the time. Moving against a current or strong wind could require a bit more headway speed and thus wake, to maintain steerage.

From the MO boater ed course info--
    "Idle Speed" or "Slow, No Wake Speed"
    When you see these buoys or signs, they indicate a boating restricted area established to protect the safety of the public and property. In these areas, a vessel may not proceed at a speed greater than necessary to maintain steering."

It was a no wake zone, my hand was off the throttle completely as always. The officer was filling up at the gas dock and yelled at me to slow down, so as you did I took both hands off the bars to show him that this is my idle speed, & even said "this is my idle." I didn't even know he was water patrol because he was wearing a blue t shirt that said "water patrol" on the back & he did not identify himself as he was yelling like an idiot. So I saw him pull out of the dock & realized only then that he was water patrol, so I shut down, stopped & waited for him. I tried to explain to him that if I would have know he was water patrol I absolutely would have stopped. But the way he was yelling was in a rather threatening tone, & not knowing who he was there was no freakin' way I was going to go back to the dock. I just basically need to know where i can print off the manufacturers spec for idle to take to court to show how ignorant this guy really is. I'm also considering bringing my GPS & take video with my smart pone to prove the idle speed & RPM.

+1
    Interesting!

I was going to say use reverse to slow you down but i suppose you cant do that on an IBR ski!

The officer tried to tell me that I could have put it in neutral...dumbass. I explained to him how a direct drive works in the most elementary way, so he could understand...but it ddin't make any difference. I said my seadoo has no neutral, reverse, or brakes, when you hit start it goes, when you hit stop it....well....stops!

The GTS does not have the IBR, but if it did you can use it to help slow down but it will stay in neutral until you hit the gas.Here where I live all the no wake signs we have say less then 10 mph,look in the boaters book for your state and see if it has a mph for no wake zones, other then that I would do like you wanted and record yourself idling and show your mph and enplane to the judge that all skis idle the way yours does so you can steer them. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

+1
    The laws read and this is federal that you are allowed to maintain a speed that allows safe steerage. In neutral you have no steerage. You can not avoid an accident. All you have to do is as you said shoot a video but keep one hand on the steering. They can write you a careless operation for not staying in control of your ski. Now you will still have your word against his as far as if you were actually going that slow at that moment but ask to see the video proof from his side. He will not have it and you will win. These skis are set with the idle allowing safe steerage and just as with any vessel you have to be making way to have safe steerage.

+1
    Go to court. I had that happen to me last year, and the ticket was thrown out because the officer didn't have radar to prove that I was going to fast. And "making a wake" is to subjective to stand up in court.

Thanks for all the replies & support, it's good to know I'm not alone it this situation. There is no MPH stipulated in no wake zones, it's just idle speed. Although I've been hearing a lot of 5 MPH or less from some other sources, if that is so I'm well within legal limits. The water cop didn't radar me, he just said my wake was too big...a big wake from a PWC at 4 MPH?! I will make that video next weekend at the lake for evidence, & tomorrow my wife & I are going to try to file a formal complaint to his commanding officer for his conduct...he was very rude & condescending.

+1
    If you make a formal complaint, they may drop the ticket. Depends how long you wait tho. Go ASAP.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information