Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1998 SeaDoo GTX Overheating Problem

I wanted to take my SeaDoo out this weekend for the first time this season. I ran the SeaDoo on hose to make sure all systems were OK. Fired up motor with no problem turned on hose let run for a while. Outside air temps in mid to upper 90*s. All cooling water coming out where its supposed to and strong. Good to go -so I thought. Dropped into the water next day got about 2/10's of mile away fro ramp at idle speed "Hi Temperature" alarm going off. I shut it down floated for a few minutes and started back up again alarm still going off so I got back to ramp. After removing seat it truley was hot. I let it sit for several hour and same results. Can somebody tell what is going on here? Whats the problem. 110 hours on Seadoo. Maybe 40 hours on SBT motor.
    Last edited by msd58; 07-30-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: content

I ran on hose again last night. Would NOT over heat. Water flow was coming out normally. I am clueless here.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Check your Wear ring...thats where the cooling system is pressurized. The "hose" IS pressurized so of course your going to get a strong "bleed-out" pressure. But i think it in your jet pump. Did you rev it up past the idle and a nominal speed to see if it would stop alarming? What about the "bleed-out" pressure? your only going to see this under power.

Quote Originally Posted by sea-one View Post
    Check your Wear ring...that's where the cooling system is pressurized. The "hose" IS pressurized so of course your going to get a strong "bleed-out" pressure. But i think it in your jet pump. Did you rev it up past the idle and a nominal speed to see if it would stop alarming? What about the "bleed-out" pressure? your only going to see this under power.
    No I did not rev it up when the over heat sounding would stop. I was concerned that i would damage motor as it was. So the good water flow on hose in essence eliminates any blockages in cooling system and points to wear ring?

+1
    When its in the water running does the pisser flow constantly or does it spit and squirt? it should be a constant stream anywhere above idle

I do not recall seeing much coming out the pee holes yesteryear. As I stated before I did not bring up past an idle.

+1
    Do you ride on salted water? Sometimes the Cyl head fitting gets clogged with salt and not passing much water to he head causing over heat. Check for leaks when on the hose. Also have seen in race cases sand stuck in the water regulator valve. .

just my .02

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    The clearance between the impeller and wear ring, this gives you water pressure needed. on the hose its pressureized by the water service

When I ran it on the garden hose I checked the black water line coming off the elbow desribed. The hose was warm AND yes it was salt water ski for the first six seasons.

I will take ski down to local ramp and see what the pee hole discharge is like and post my findings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information