+1

misfire after riding a while help

some may know from my build thread ive had an odd missfire. the last two times out its done the same sort of thing.

start it, runs great for an hour. cut it on, off, whatever, works great. then i usually park somewhere and sit for like 30 minutes or more, after riding for an hour or two. then when i start it and ride it it does its misfire.

its like a light miss from 3 to about 5, you hear it in the tone of the exhaust, it will sound like puttering, or light popping. then below 3 if you hold the throttle still like maybe going 10 mph or so, it sounds like its droning. like the mustang with flowmaster kinda drone, and misses. and idle speed varies.

ive done new plugs, compression is good, new plug wires, i had a coil that dropped and i replaced that, that fixed allot of it.

i know these 2 stroke motors can load up on fuel and not wanna run right, but its definatly something different after riding it a while than vs when you first start it. and not like its warmed up and running odd, its like an hour or two after riding it does it. plug wires are working great, i can grab the wire with it running and it wont shock me like before. no water leaks around the head either.

only dumb thing i did was i flipped my fuel filter around because i had it in backwards. that most likely pushed some dirty fuel to the carbs. that may point to trash in carbs, but again, it runs great for an hour or two.

hull isnt overly wet either, i thought it may be something getting wet and shorting out or something. im gonna look into checking voltage on the coils.

everything i have has odd problems. just this morning i went to mow the grass, my four stroke carbed honda push mower wont start. it does this all the time. it sits, i try to start it, wont start, so i walk away, then an hour later i come back and yank it once and it fires right up. i swear i have some odd problems with things.

+1
    well ive still got the prob. now its doing it all the time really. probably just going to send the carbs out to eliminate that variable. ive tried in line testers and made sure the power valves are right.

i need the dummy plug to test the pickup coil correct?

+1
    i dont get how to check some of this stuff, to check the cdi output you need a peak voltage adapter for your volt meter right? because the lead wire that drives the coils are going to be getting 200 volts one short blast at a time correct? how are people ohming out the stator? all thats in the service manual is checking voltage with the dummy plug for the harness

I don't know how to ohm out the pickup coils so I can't answer that question, but, as far as ohming out the stator Jim had told me how to do it. You have the round plug coming from the stator with 3 green wires. You have a rectangular single wire plug with a black wire. All you do is put the positive lead to one of the 3 green wires and the negative to the black wire with multimeter set to ohms. Repeat for all three green wires. You should get an ohm reading each time. If you do and the readings are close to the same, the stator is alright. If you have a bad stator, you will not get an ohm reading or it will be way way off which is saying you have an open circuit. I believe the stator is solely related to charging and the pickup coils are for the timing of the fire. Hope this helps. I had a blown front seal and the oil on the pickup coils was causing mine to fire at the wrong time on #1.

+1
    I kinda had a similar problem with mine. It would backfire and I couldn't get any rpms out of it. This was on a good motor and with good carbs. I tried testing the stator and pickup coil but was unsure of my method and results so I ended up putting a different stator/pickup coil in it. It has run perfect ever since. It looks like you have checked everything else so maybe this the cure for your problems.

+1
    check all grounds the start stop circuit on handle bar can and will do weird stuff un plug kill plug wires when it does this.remember you can not kill motor till pluged back up leave trailer in water for this test black 2 wire conector plug

+1
    If carbs don't fix it I just gonna ride it till it gets worse. Im gonna ohm out the stator and stop/start switch to be sure. Can I get a peak voltage checker at a tool store?

the problem is that it runs fine. i can use all of my rpms and it doesent miss that bad, i just want to fix it incase its related to why i just stuck a piston

+1
    the start stop can be intermitten proublem breaking down ground under load .check while having proublem

+1
    i have all the stuff if you need them .staters coils ect

Thread Information