Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Help With Motor Bogging??!!!

Hry guys, I have a 2000 xl 1200 ltd. Everything in the ski is brand new as far as engine goes. All new parts and complete rebuild. I have put 8 hrs. on it since buying it and breaking in new motor. Today I ran it to a little problem. Ski started fine and ran flawlessly for about 1.5 hrs. Parked the ski at the dock and got something to eat and 30 minutes later went to ride again. The ski starts fine and will shut off as soon as you go to gas it to back up. It did that 2 or 3 times. Then once it started I was able to keep it running while I very light throttle/idle away from the dock. Then I tried to accelerate lightly and the motor would fall on its face about 10 MPH or somewhere around 4,000 rpm. It did this for about 3 to 4 minutes. Then once it got really warm and me feathering it got bette, still did it slightly but it got better in the midranger. Then after 5 or 6 minutes of this there is absolutely ni problems! I ran the ski for another hour with absolutely no problems! Shut it off for 15 minutes at the dock while I went to get the truck and trailer. Would fire right up, shut off 3 seconds later. Pulled the choke and it ran fine for the 50ft. to get it on the trailer. Runs absolutely perfect once it gets going, did it today only after running for a while and would sit for a little while and somewhat cooling off. This anything to be concerned with? I put brand new NGK plugs in gapped to .040 before today. Used Sta-bil ethanol treatment for first time, and tried 93 octane for the first time today. Those are the only things I did differently compared to last couple weekends. Now that it is breaking in is it too lean now? Feels like it?

Anythng to be concerned with??????

+1
    Absolutely, I'd be worried. 2 stroke skis that don't run correctly...end up needing major engine work. We definitely need to figure this out.

+1
    Yeah that is what I was thinking also. I have not checked but I am pretty sure the guy that built the motor had done some tuning on the carbs so maybe the bronze screws are drilled out and I will be able to richen the needles a little next weekend when I go out to the camp ground. At least I think it is lean.........

After about 5 minutes of this on start up it runs perfect though!!!!! It seems really smooth and dialed in. I would think it would start rich and as heat buils up it would lean out..... It sort of does the opposite. After it did this for a few minutes on startup I ran it around the lake for an hour and it felt perfect. I need to try to richen it up a tad and see what it does for the performance.

+1
    I have a feeling you're in for a little more work then just turning some carb adjuster screws. It would be pretty rare that a ski runs perfect, then it doesn't and all it needs is some carb screw adjustment.

+1
    I hope not, the only thing that has me puzzled is it did that after it ran perfect for 1.5 hrs. Shut down for 30 minutes. Started up and it sputtered in the midrange for say 5 minutes, then everything was fine and I ran the thing for 23 more miles and it felt fine..... I hope it is okay as I do not want to put a lot of money in this first learner/beater ski. Oh brother might be time for a 4-stroke....

+1
    This is far fetched and me reaching, but any chance the combination of 3 oz. of sta-bit ethanol treatment and me running 93 octane for the first time on a low compression ski would do this?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjealey View Post
    This is far fetched and me reaching, but any chance the combination of 3 oz. of sta-bit ethanol treatment and me running 93 octane for the first time on a low compression ski would do this?
    No. I doubt it. I run premium in my low compression ski (no problems). 3 oz stabil souldn't affect it enough either.

+1
    Shouldn't have talked to you Cutlass, now I am worried about my new to me ski that I had an absolute blast on today for 2.5 hrs. with all my new goodies I put on it!!!!! I am going to buy a good compression tester and test the compression of all 3 cylinders first thing when I go out there sat. morning. I am just kidding Cutlass, but I am worried now and will not be able to sleep. Thanks for being Debbie Downer. Hoping somebody else had had these similar symptoms and easy fix.....

Maybe that 4-stroke is going to become a reality sooner than later.

+1
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade but I'm not gonna sugar coat my advise either.
    Checking compression is a great place to start. I'd do the same. Your problem is either spark, fuel, or compression related. I suspect fuel related because pulling the choke helped. Possiblly the previous owner used cheap carb rebuild kits and they are starting to show their lack of quality. But I don't wanna jump to conclusions until you dig in and look around for obvious issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I'm not trying to rain on your parade but I'm not gonna sugar coat my advise either.
    Checking compression is a great place to start. I'd do the same. Your problem is either spark, fuel, or compression related. I suspect fuel related because pulling the choke helped. Possiblly the previous owner used cheap carb rebuild kits and they are starting to show their lack of quality. But I don't wanna jump to conclusions until you dig in and look around for obvious issues.
    No problemo, I hope it is carb related. The motor I really went through it as I was breaking it in and was careful. I pulled it in and everything seemed to be running pretty cool all things considered. Same with today too as I looked into that and nothing overly hot from running lean. Guy I bought it off of told me if I have any problems take it back to him so I might take it to him and have him drive it and see what he thinks. He was the one who rebuilt the carbs and has been running perfect for around 6 - 8 hrs. until today. The ski runs perfectly, it was just the first time the ski did this for the first 5 minutes after sitting and had me wondering.... I will get her figured out and fixed!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information