Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Another Polaris Junkie is born

Our family vacation took us to Lake of the Ozarks. I had never been there but was told our 21' boat would be small, and they were right. 30' and larger boats ripped up and down the lake. That meant lots of chop and 4' to 5' rollers all day Saturday.

Anyway, I took my 13 year old son out for a riding (jumping) lesson on Saturday. We hit some monsters and got the 'ol SLT 750 a good 5 or 6 feet out of the water. The kid is hooked! He loved that jumping sensation and now wants a ski of his own to ride.

I guess that means I now have to find an SL to get ready for him to ride next year.

Illinois allows riders 12 to 18 years of age to operate a boat or watercraft solo if they have completed a sanctioned boater safety course, as long as an adult is in close proximity. He had started the course before vacation but got distracted watching skateboard videos. During week he realized how much fun he can have on a ski he began to regret not completing that course. My guess is he'll finish it very soon.

Anyway, it looks like I'll need to build that 4-place trailer after all!!!!!

KJ

+1
    Sweet! My old SLT750 is our wave/wake jumper too!

Weekends are busy on our lake and good times to find nice wakes to jump. My oldest boy and my nephews love to go out and jump waves. Today was a particularly good day. There was one boat that was making a huge wake for wakesurfing. Man were those some of the largest waves I've seen on my lake. They were awesome for jumping! Serious air!

Is there anything special about the SL/SLT hull that makes them particularly good for jumping waves? I'm wondering how well my MSX will do out there.

Cheers!

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    The Msx will get air if the waves are big enough. Lanched the Msx at least 4 1/2 foot today after passing a oncoming 50 footer today.

I have the perfect SL for him. My 750 PSI ski.

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Our family vacation took us to Lake of the Ozarks. I had never been there but was told our 21' boat would be small, and they were right. 30' and larger boats ripped up and down the lake. That meant lots of chop and 4' to 5' rollers all day Saturday.

Anyway, I took my 13 year old son out for a riding (jumping) lesson on Saturday. We hit some monsters and got the 'ol SLT 750 a good 5 or 6 feet out of the water. The kid is hooked! He loved that jumping sensation and now wants a ski of his own to ride.
    Spent every weekend at Lake of the Ozarks when I was in college. Crazy the size and $ in boats on that lake. 21 footer probably got tossed around pretty good...Great for jumping though!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TBone14 View Post
    Spent every weekend at Lake of the Ozarks when I was in college. Crazy the size and $ in boats on that lake. 21 footer probably got tossed around pretty good...Great for jumping though!
    Yeah, the Crownline saw air a couple of times. I quickly learned to quarter the wakes and minimize the amount of time the bow spent in the air.

You aren't kidding about the $$$$$ running up and down that lake. $100K 35' Baja's and Scarab's running all day long on Saturday. My guess is they went through $1,000 in fuel over the weekend. Fun to drive but man I can't even think about spending that much on fuel. I probably spent $500 over the course of the week and that was plenty.

KJ

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Sweet! My old SLT750 is our wave/wake jumper too!

Is there anything special about the SL/SLT hull that makes them particularly good for jumping waves? I'm wondering how well my MSX will do out there.
    We have a '94 SLT750 and a '96 SLT780. The hull design of the '94 is much better suited to jumping. The '96 tends to stick to the water better and won't air out as well. Great for cruising but not for playing hard.

The SL's are just a lot more nimble and with the trim you can adjust the nozzle to get a lot more upward thrust. Basically you trim up, roll over the first wave of the wake about 1/4 throttle, then nail it. The combination of the downhill of the back side of the wake for speed increase, hitting the lip of the oncoming wave, and the upward attitude of the bow due to the trim in the up position will make the ski launch in the air.

KJ

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    The Msx will get air if the waves are big enough. Lanched the Msx at least 4 1/2 foot today after passing a oncoming 50 footer today.

I have the perfect SL for him. My 750 PSI ski.
    We saw a bunch of newer hull design skis (yammie's and Seadoo's) similar to the MSX. Very few of them were giving those big skis enough of a goose to really get any air. They were mostly just bouncing along. The skis are certainly capable of jumping if the wakes are big enough, but the riders weren't taking those chances.

OK Dano, you got my interest on the PSI ski. PM me what you're thinking. I've got a leads on some options, but nothing is settled yet. But that crazy little thing would be a wild 1st ski for the kid.

KJ

Banned User
    +1
    I have a sweet SL 900 I would love to see go to a fellow hulker

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonmtz View Post
    Anyway, it looks like I'll need to build that 4-place trailer after all!!!!!

KJ
    So, what machines will be filling those four bunks? Got a Virage TXi or MSX 140 yet?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    So, what machines will be filling those four bunks? Got a Virage TXi or MSX 140 yet?
    I really would like to make those upgrades. The wife is content with the old skis but I will continue to search for a good deal on a 1200 DI ski. The power and ride quality of those skis is so nice. The really hard part is getting Budger to part with the $$$$. She's a tightwad when it comes to that.

KJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information