Stuck at 4000rpm for an hour or so, then she runs??? Please help!

Hello guys, I've been reading on here for what seems like forever now trying to find the answer, but no real joy so decided to post. It seems fairly common with these Polaris virages that the limp mode/safe mode is activating when it shouldn't. I've been out on it 4 times now and every time it is getting worse! The dash says engine overheat within 2 mins of being in the water but after a while of trying to get over 4000 it eventually runs properly for a short while but improving all the time then yesterday after an hour of trying it finally played ball, once it is parked up for a short amount of time the problem comes back but for only 10 mins or so? The reverse gear has been removed and wires disconnected the engine runs fine after this initial warm up stage so to speak. Any help would be greatly appreciated as summer here in the uk is slipping away fast cheers guys

have you tried to disconnect the gray jumper lead from circuit board in electric box to cdi to take the rev limit function out of the mix? The display I believe communicates with the cdi and even though u have removed reverse wiring, its probably still going to display. Also make sure the reverse wires if they are actually still in ski but disconnected make sure they are not touching. the reverse sensor works on the wires to ground. on the display connector the reverse wire is in #11 great/red stripe. You never said what year. this only applies 01-04.

Firstly thank you for the reply! The year is a 02 700cc Polaris virage. The guy I purchased the ski from kinked the reverse cable so he just cut it and removed the rear cone. After further inspection the reverse electrical wires are still intact and are still connected, sorry about the wrong info, I went on the guys word what he told me. Anyway should I still leave them connected? The mfd has never said the ski is in reverse so I don't think it has anything todo with the problem. I thought I'd mention it just incase. After doing more research I had come to the conclusion it was todo with the temp sensor in the exhaust, should I just remove the light brown cable coming from this or renew the sensor? I've not yet removed the grey wire you mention but will be sure todo so and try it, iam quite limited to when I can take the ski out due to relaying on a tractor driver at the beach. What puzzles me is it runs great when it wants too so fingers crossed it is just a small electrical fault, again thank you for your help, I'll be sure to let you know how I get on

Sorry for the late reply, managed to take the ski out last weekend with the temp sensor disconnected, problem solved!!! The mfd didn't say engine overheat once and the ski ran fine all day got my new temp sensor today so get it whacked in, just need the good old British weather to hold out for me a little longer now, cheers guys

seems I have another problem now, took the ski out yesterday, ran fine for an hour then for some other strange reason it really struggled to start and ran very badly, not going above 6000rpm and not getting above 30mph, just as I fix one problem I've encountered another, going to start with new plugs and a carb rebuild if anyone has any idea what it could be tho would be a great help, thanks guys!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloughy17 View Post
    seems I have another problem now, took the ski out yesterday, ran fine for an hour then for some other strange reason it really struggled to start and ran very badly, not going above 6000rpm and not getting above 30mph, just as I fix one problem I've encountered another, going to start with new plugs and a carb rebuild if anyone has any idea what it could be tho would be a great help, thanks guys!
    Always check compression too when performance starts to decline....

Hey, no need to check the compression, had a look at the ski yesterday, one thing lead to another and we ended up taking the heads off, and there it was a buggered piston the other one looks fine but might aswel replace them both now it's apart. Iam going to be doing the work myself, but if there is any tips and tricks you guys know about I'd be pleased to hear them. Also can anyone recommend some pistons to put back in? There is also some damage around the water inlets which surround the head pieces of cast are actually flaking off, I will try to upload some pics for you guys to take a look at, thanks

Thread Information