Add axle or just buy a tandem axle trailer?

I would like to have a tandem axle trailer for my
    waverunners
    , currently have a double ski com-fab. So my question is can I add an axle on this trailer or do I just need to buy a trailer that comes with tandem axles? Have seen several factory and the second axle is close to the back which is where this one would have to be but I'm still unsure if there is enough room for suspension components. I have seen where new are like $3000-3500, have a couple emails out for other companies, I just don't see paying that much for a second axle when a new double ski single axle is $900-1200.
    Any opinions appreciated
    xxMT

+1
    Any particular reason you want a tandem?

The lake I ride at is 100 miles 1 way,85 are interstate and highway,14 back roads and 1 mile of dirt road. Thought 2 axles would be safer and smoother ride for the runners than 1. Or am I making mountains out of mole hills?
    Would changing from leaf springs to a torsion and leaving it a single be just as well?
    Again thanks for the input
    xxMT

+1
    I just towed two 300x's just under 300 miles(mostly interstate) and had no problems with a single axle

+1
    You've got redundancy, but that's about it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xxmoving target View Post
    The lake I ride at is 100 miles 1 way,85 are interstate and highway,14 back roads and 1 mile of dirt road. Thought 2 axles would be safer and smoother ride for the runners than 1. Or am I making mountains out of mole hills?
    Would changing from leaf springs to a torsion and leaving it a single be just as well?
    Again thanks for the input
    xxMT
    Maintenance of the axle and wheel hubs you have is key to reliability.

Make sure the axle is rated for the total trailer weight with fully loaded watercraft.

Same for the tire weight ratings and tire age/condition. Old trailer tires are to be discarded even if they have tread.

If you need to replace the old tires anyway, consider installing the largest wheel+tire size that will fit without rubbing the fenders on big road bumps. Larger trailer tires ride easier and generally have a higher weight rating at lower air pressure, making for a smoother ride.

And of course confirm the trailer is rated for the weight you will be carrying, plus some extra capacity.

I personally prefer torsion axles for the smoother and quieter ride. My single torsion axle Triton Elite trailer has thousands of uneventful highway miles.

Thanks, the trailer is close to the max with wave runners and the weight of the trailer. Grease bearing twice a year, pull hubs, clean and inspect once a year. Trailer was bought brand new little over a year ago. From the info I've have gathered here and else where, I will be keeping my current trailer as is. Might up grade single axle to slightly higher weight and a torsion.
    Thanks again for everything
    xxMT

Thread Information