GP1300R not Charging. Please help...

Hi guys...

I've been working on my 2006 GP1300r for 2 months. Long story short the front seal ruptured and one of the pickup coils was not firing properly due to the oil around the stator and pickup coils. I am almost dead sure I was getting 14.7 volts before the front seal replacement. I installed the motor after the seal replacement and I put on an ebay used stator and pickup coils (i was afraid to use my original stator and coils for fear I would have to pull it back apart due to a possible bad coil). When I got everyting back together, I fired it up and the display only shows 11.7 volts while running. It climbs to 12 volts when I switch it off. I pulled everything back apart, cleaned the oil from my original stator and pickup coils (took ebay stator off), and re-installed my orignal stator housing. Even though this is a different stator than the ebay one, I still only get 11.7 volts. I cleaned the flywheel up on the initial install. Any ideas why both stators will only give me 11.7 volts? Man this thing is killing me. I have put over 10 hours the last 2 days. Please help. Any chance the flywheel is bad? I appreciate any input.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chevyrocks3 View Post
    Hi guys...

I've been working on my 2006 GP1300r for 2 months. Long story short the front seal ruptured and one of the pickup coils was not firing properly due to the oil around the stator and pickup coils. I am almost dead sure I was getting 14.7 volts before the front seal replacement. I installed the motor after the seal replacement and I put on an ebay used stator and pickup coils (i was afraid to use my original stator and coils for fear I would have to pull it back apart due to a possible bad coil). When I got everyting back together, I fired it up and the display only shows 11.7 volts while running. It climbs to 12 volts when I switch it off. I pulled everything back apart, cleaned the oil from my original stator and pickup coils (took ebay stator off), and re-installed my orignal stator housing. Even though this is a different stator than the ebay one, I still only get 11.7 volts. I cleaned the flywheel up on the initial install. Any ideas why both stators will only give me 11.7 volts? Man this thing is killing me. I have put over 10 hours the last 2 days. Please help. Any chance the flywheel is bad? I appreciate any input.
    in most cases it's a bad regulator, You can ohm the charging coil to see if it's good.

3. +1 by:

Thanks Jim. I was looking in the service manual concerning ohming of the stator. I could not find anything. It just shows checking voltage while running using a test harness. Due I just ohm between two of the 3 wires on the round plug with the engine not running? Can you tell me how many ohms I should get? I know it was charging before I took it apart but I can't get charging from either stator. I'm soooo close to getting it back to going. Motor is running good just not charging. It has been a long battle....

BTW, when I cleaned the stator and pickup coils I used contact cleaner, blew it with air, sprayed some yamaha silicone on them, blew it off, and wiped it off. Is any of that a no no?

+1
    BTW, when I cleaned the stator and pickup coils I used contact cleaner, blew it with air, sprayed some yamaha silicone on them, blew it off, and wiped it off. Is any of that a no no?
    that is fine.

+1
    Thanks Jim. I was looking in the service manual concerning ohming of the stator. I could not find anything. It just shows checking voltage while running using a test harness. Due I just ohm between two of the 3 wires on the round plug with the engine not running? Can you tell me how many ohms I should get? I know it was charging before I took it apart but I can't get charging from either stator. I'm soooo close to getting it back to going. Motor is running good just not charging. It has been a long battle....
    what i do is there is 3 green wires and a black ground take a ohm meter to 1 green at a time and to the black wire and as long as you do not have a open circuit it is fine.

Thanks again! I know which wires you are referring too. I can look at a bolt and tell you where it goes now ! At least I have come to learn my ski... I'll ohm it out and if it is good I will order the rectifier. I just knew upon thinking more about it that it was charging when I parked it but I have seen that corrosion forming on the rectifier for some time now. My bones are dragging with the heat and wrenching it

Thread Information