Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Cool '93 sl650 project!!!

There is a long story behind this ski, but I'll just start with since I've had it.

I got this ski in the beginning of 2011. A buddy of mine didn't want to mess with it so he gave it to me for free! Is sat in my carport for about six months before I even messed with it. I finally got the urge to get it runnin about October of last year, so I started cleaning it up. Just like most other early sl model skis, it melted a hole through the rear piston. So I found a used piston/cylinder on eBay for 70 bucks, it was bored .010 over. So I slapped that in there and tore the carbs apart, surprisingly, they looked great inside. All the diaphragms and gaskets were still soft and felt good, so put that back together with what was there. So I hooked the battery cables to some jumper cables that were hooked to my truck, dumped some gas down the carbs and hit the button. Fired right up!! So I rigged up some pickups in the tank, and bought a new battery, $65. Dumped some oil in the tank, filled er with gas and took it to a private lake. Ran like a champ! Not bad for $135. We ran it all winter, almost every other day from late October until late January. Ran perfect every time. Then it developed a problem, would start right up, take off just fine, even cruise around all day with out a sputter. But after 3-4 seconds of WOT it would just instantly shut off. No bog, no sputter, nothin. If I would instantly let off it would catch and stay runnin. I could even keep goin without ever coming off a plane. If I didn't let off the gas, it would just die completely.

So, while I got this problem figured out, I decided to change the look of my ski a lil bit. I peeled all the decals off, and cleaned off the goo, removed the rub rail, recovered the seat, and painted the grab bar and handlebar cover.

She went from this,

To this,

I still need to fix my engine problems and a few more cosmetic changes, and make er legal so I can ride in more than a small private lake. Hopefully she will be ready by this winters riding season. Gotta love Florida, too hot to ride jet skis in the summer.

+1
    Oh ya, I have not tried starting the ski since February, I hit the button the other day just for s***'s and giggles, and it started in less than 2 revs. I couldn't believe it! No choke or nothin, just an instant fire.

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    I would be looking at a new fuel pump, The triple outlet would run about what a single would run, A fuel starvation problem can cause what you decribed, but the bad part is,it can also cause a burn down in a heartbeat which is what had happen before you got it.

+1
    I have a triple outlet pump, fuel select valve, and and oil pump block off in my shopping cart on watcon now. Just trying to find new in tank pick-up lines.

+1
    Thanks buddy.

+1
    If you don't have the clunks, you may need to look for those somewhere else. I would stop at your local lawn mower repair shop and ask them about tygon line and fuel clunks........

+1
    Thanks.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Looks great, once you are up and running look into upgrading to a 94 jet pump. Much more efficient.

+1
    Ya, I'm planning on doin a '94 pump, maybe another ride plate/intake grate, a prop, and some sponsons. I'm really looking for short track performance, any suggestions on parts for almost all bottom end power? And tight turns?

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information