Cool 1999 xl1200 ltd.. Successful Rebuild, Now I'd like some tips to make her last!!

So thanks to people on the forums and lots of info and videos on the internet, I just took my first spin on my 1999 xl1200 limited, which I bought with a blown piston. I did a top end rebuild, replaced all 3 pistons and rings, middle cylinder, bearings etc... The carbs had recently been done, so I skipped those for now. Anyways, got it on the water and it ran like a dream, only problem was the speedometer wouldn't go over 30 mph, but that was the speedo not the ski, because I would guess I was in the upper 50s... will take a GPS next time to confirm that. I have never done anything like this before, so naturally I was quite proud of myself.

Now, what I would like to ask, is could I get some tips on what kind of ongoing maintenance I can do to make this engine last? I realize that it's a 2 stroke and eventually the hours catch up, but there has to be some tips you guys can give me for simple things I can do to help prolong the life of the engine.... things to watch out for, etc. This ski is not on pre-mix for the time being, and maybe that's something I will eventually do. Recommendations on oil, etc? It does already have the D-plate installed and I also bought and installed the wave-eater clips everyone is always talking about.

Any tips and/or advice would be much appreciated!!! Cheers!!

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnbrown View Post
    So thanks to people on the forums and lots of info and videos on the internet, I just took my first spin on my 1999 xl1200 limited, which I bought with a blown piston. I did a top end rebuild, replaced all 3 pistons and rings, middle cylinder, bearings etc... The carbs had recently been done, so I skipped those for now. Anyways, got it on the water and it ran like a dream, only problem was the speedometer wouldn't go over 30 mph, but that was the speedo not the ski, because I would guess I was in the upper 50s... will take a GPS next time to confirm that. I have never done anything like this before, so naturally I was quite proud of myself.

Now, what I would like to ask, is could I get some tips on what kind of ongoing maintenance I can do to make this engine last? I realize that it's a 2 stroke and eventually the hours catch up, but there has to be some tips you guys can give me for simple things I can do to help prolong the life of the engine.... things to watch out for, etc. This ski is not on pre-mix for the time being, and maybe that's something I will eventually do. Recommendations on oil, etc? It does already have the D-plate installed and I also bought and installed the wave-eater clips everyone is always talking about.

Any tips and/or advice would be much appreciated!!! Cheers!!
    From what you are saying sounds like it's running real good. Just make sure the oil line have some slack so they do not pop off and kill a cylinder.

+1
    The 2 biggest killers are:
    Lack of oil (Go Premix or make sure those oil lines are always in great shape, have slack, and clamped on TIGHT so they don't fall off)
    Running Lean. So research and do all upgrades you can find to make the fuel system and carbs more reliable.

Thread Information