Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Help

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    off topic slightly... my desktop is well equipped. AMD 64-bit, 1GB ram, 200 GB HD, etc...

my throw around laptop for chillin on the couch and leaving on top of my tool box is struggling... that's what i'm on right now. i only use it for word processing, spread sheets, and AIM and online forums and stuff... i formatted it, it''s clean and has nothing but the essentials. Dell Inspiron 8200... Pentium 4, 1.6 ghz.... 30 GB HD...128 MB ram... OUCH .... i'm only using about 5 gigs since i have just the essentials on it... it should run relatively smooth, no? takes forever to start, it runs pretty damn slow... i'm guessing thats attributed almost entirely to the lack of memory?

if so... where's the cheapest place to get some more.. i doubt it's DDR or anything special

i also need a new HD for it maybe?... it's on it's way out. i get black screens, and no bootable device messages, and that blue screen that says DUMPING PHYSICAL MEMORY. what's those problems about?
    Last edited by MikeTrin; 02-01-2007 at 12:18 PM. Reason: moved to new non vista thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485 View Post
    off topic slightly... my desktop is well equipped. AMD 64-bit, 1GB ram, 200 GB HD, etc...

my throw around laptop for chillin on the couch and leaving on top of my tool box is struggling... that's what i'm on right now. i only use it for word processing, spread sheets, and AIM and online forums and stuff... i formatted it, it''s clean and has nothing but the essentials. Dell Inspiron 8200... Pentium 4, 1.6 ghz.... 30 GB HD...128 MB ram... OUCH .... i'm only using about 5 gigs since i have just the essentials on it... it should run relatively smooth, no? takes forever to start, it runs pretty damn slow... i'm guessing thats attributed almost entirely to the lack of memory?

if so... where's the cheapest place to get some more.. i doubt it's DDR or anything special

i also need a new HD for it maybe?... it's on it's way out. i get black screens, and no bootable device messages, and that blue screen that says DUMPING PHYSICAL MEMORY. what's those problems about?
    its slow starting up because it only has 128mb of ram. check out newegg.com to get more. the 'blue screen of death" you speak of is usually memory errors. if you have a floppy drive you can download a program called memtest(google it). put it on a floppy and run it on boot up. it will scan your mem for errors.

ellaborate a little more on the no bootable devices. when does it happen..what does it say, any errors..ect

Banned User
    +1

pop the back open and see what you have in there...I might have some chips laying around...you'll need 256 total, 512 would make that thing solid...

I'm kind of a big deal SeanCucf's Avatar
    and that blue screen that says DUMPING PHYSICAL MEMORY. what's those problems about?

i get the same damn thing when I stick an SD card in or out of the SD slot....WTF???

+1
    k... lemme find a lil screw driver and pull the back cover off... brb

+1
    it has a single 128MB in there... and the other slot is empty

i frequently get the blue screen with white letters, says "beginning physical dump of memory" or something...

and then also pretty frequently i get a screen that's not windows. black screen, white letters... "no bootable devices found F1 to reboot" ... i press F1 and speakers make a crackly noise and it just goes to the next line and says the same thing again about no bootable devices found.

i frequently get the blue screen with white letters, says "beginning physical dump of memory" or something...

and then also pretty frequently i get a screen that's not windows. black screen, white letters... "no bootable devices found F1 to reboot" ... i press F1 and speakers make a crackly noise and it just goes to the next line and says the same thing again about no bootable devices found.
    do you have any thing connected via usb?..ipod, external HD, any kind of memory card reader, thumb drive, anything with memory/disk space in it..ect?
    if you did than that woud be the cause. it has to do with the boot sequece the bios is set up to run. if there are any perphipals (sp?) connected at the time of bootup it will automatically boot from it instead of the primary hard drive. and since windows is not installed on whatever was connected, it gives you the "no bootable devices".

THE OFFICAL SUPERDUTY!!!!!! superduty's Avatar
    +1
    you can go in and set up the boot order in bios and that will usally fix i have all kinds of crap pluged in to mine and no probs

Banned User
    +1
    What is the memory speed? and size? Need to know that to match it up...

+1
    mxl... it's not a booting problem or peripheral.... in the middle of using the computer i'll lose the HD and it loses windows and gives me that black screen which means it's not even dtecting a HD... it's not at bootup... it's in the middle of using the laptop... it says F1 to reboot... but that doesn't work.

need to power it off completely, turn it back on, and then it's fine

as stated above this laptop is bare bones... NOTHING connected, no USB devices, no CDs in the drives, no digital cameras are used on this thing, NOTHIGN.... there's nothing but windows, firefix, microsoft office, and AIM installed on it... my programs menu in the start menu is VERY short... maybe half of a column, that's it

Danny... i gotta pull the memory out to read it, it's on the side facing in... i'll check that out and let you know. i was just opening the cover and peaking at it with the laptop still on, gotta power her off to further see what speed and kind it is
    Last edited by Shibby1485; 02-01-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information