Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

What to expect at Mudbug 3

Some good questions have come up from those that are planning to attend the event in Morgan City this June. I wanted to give a brief rundown of what to expect and an idea of how things flow during the main two days.

Welcome to the forum first of all!!!

I will give you a brief run-down of how things typically go in Morgan City for this event.

First and most important, this is a non-sanctioned event for the entire family. What does this mean? This means that this event was started by a small group of people with an idea to have people meet in a centralized location in the country for a chance to ride together and show thier fast ski's off to all the others. It was also started for bragging rights as well, and for the opportunity to run the ski's under a stalker radar gun with many people to witness.

Well, in 2005 when all this got started, it ended up being much bigger and much more popular than anyone had ever planned. Being non-sanctioned, means that there are no fees to attend, there are also no registration fees for anything that we do (other than your hotel, food, drink, fuel and the 3 dollar boat ramp fee to launch your ski's). Other than that, your own your own, but i will give you some pointers to what and when things tend to happen.

This all of course is sponsored by Jerry Gaddis AKA "greenhulk" and the owner of this site. He lives there in Morgan City and does a great job promoting the event and even has a big cook-out at his house on Saturday.

1) 95% of the people that will come will use Thursday as a "travel day" and most will arrive anywhere from lunch time on Thursday all the way through the early morning hours of Friday depending on how far and when people were able to leave their home towns.

2) Friday- An easy day, but it's the first full day of riding. Many will take long rides down the byous of the backwaters. Mostly a meet/greet kind of day and lots of socializing on the water. Lots of neat places to see and the smootest water you'll ever find. Most will head over to the ramp at about 7-8am after breakfast. Might even see s few good drag races between people own their own.

Friday at sunset is typically a trial run for the radar runs. A few of the fastest skis will most likely be gearing up for the "real thing" making practice runs on a flat stretch of water as the temps cool down and it's a neat thing to see. The ride back to the ramp could be in total darkness.

3) Saturday - The main event. Be up early with the sun and have all your ducks in a row because it will be a mad dash to the boat ramp to get a good parking spot for your vehichle and trailer. Everyone will be in a hurry to get on the water and to the main radar run location before the temps start to climb along with the humidity (which kills our speeds).

We will have a "radar platform boat" with several individuals on it with radar guns, video equipment, ect..... There will be bouys set up for the strait line run at the gun. It's actually very organized. Then we will begin (one by one) the runs to be recorded with the spectators typically at the end of the run on the opposite side of the pontoon boat. Lots of cameras and video recording going on for this, and the whole area will become a "no wake" zone for the sake of those doing the runs. They need the smoothest water possible.

After the radar runs, many will break for lunch, go back to the ramp to change set-ups for drag racing at another location, or do what ever you wish to do. Jerry might have another big cook out with great food around that time and his place is close to where we will do drag races and a "mock" bouy race course where 2 at a time can race as the pros do in IJSBA Racing.

4) Saturday Night - will be the awards ceremony at the meeting room of the Holiday Inn where many trophies will be given out for several different things concerning the radar runs, the drag races, the distances traveled, and paint/body work done to some of the skis. Mingle, and meet everyone on the forum (faces to names).

5) Sunday Morning - For 90% of the crowd, it's a long journey home and most will be gone very early so that they can get back to work on Monday morning. Some will still ride at there own free will.

6) Things For Sale- People kind of do their own thing for this. I will be doing T-shirts for everyone, Steve Howell has been doing stickers for the past 2 years and does a great job. There will possibly be lots of free stuff to get from sponsors in our industry that will be given away at night and throughout the day at the event. You can't ever tell what might be available to get or buy, just expect lots of goodies and good times. Every year brings new and exciting things. Lots to see and to be learned in a span of about 60 hours. You'll never regret coming.

I encourage you to watch the 20minute preview video that is in this section of the forum. It will get you pumped up and ready to go. It's a very fast paced and exciting atmosphere. Hope that this describes the event for you in lamens terms.

John,

I hope this year we will have some sort of agenda. As last year was my first and I spent most if not all day friday looking for everyone. In conclusion I missed out on the drag racing etc. I spent all day asking people where the events were and got a different answer from each one(needless to say I spent almost one full tank on running around. I just hope that we can have some sort of scheduled agenda/location of certain events. As I would hate for the new people to have to go through what my friends I had to.

Robert

A poster board at the ramp with times and locations of events will help those of us that have never been there before!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    A poster board at the ramp with times and locations of events will help those of us that have never been there before!
    Very good idea.

Another good idea is to find a fast ski and stay with him, because you know the fast skis will not miss anything. I like the poster board idea, maybe a gps cordinance of the radar run site would be good so others could plug it into their GPS??????

Quote Originally Posted by ABBOTT View Post
    Very good idea.

Another good idea is to find a fast ski and stay with him, because you know the fast skis will not miss anything. I like the poster board idea, maybe a gps cordinance of the radar run site would be good so others could plug it into their GPS??????

Thats the problem I have a slow ski and could not keep up. But I will not have to worry about that this year.

It might be a good idea to have a few volunteer "mother hens" to round people up on the water when something is going on (i.e) Lake race, etc.) in addition to a published rough time of certain events. Wouldn't want to script the entire event, though. To me, part of the fun is the "looseness" of the event.

+1
    There is gonna be alot of water traffic Sat Monring. We need to be courteous, friendly and most of all PATIENT guyz !

Don't make me slap you up the side of the head getting impatient on anyone, I'll go old skool on ya !

+1

You might have to go "Medieval on their a#$"

As the guy said in Pulp Fiction.......

+1
    a map with times and GPS locations would be great

+1
    Well I have made some people upset in the past by trying to have this organized with times, locations, t-shirts, trophies, movie commercials, etc.... I was told that it made this more like a "sanctioned" event which was never the intention.

With all the efforts, money & time put forth for everyone to have a good time and to have some sort of time-line of events along with some organization, i was basically told to F--- Off, which is typical here. It's not my event guys, i just wanted to relay what times we have always done things in the past.

So everyone this year will be on their own. With 300 ski's on the water, one boat ramp, with more than half of the attendees being first timers, who the hell needs organization, right??

Well here is what I would do - and by all means i do not recommend this to anyone. But Friday & Saturday Both days---I would be at the ramp at sunrise because you are going to have 300 ski's trying to use one ramp, you get the picture? Parking will also become a problem as the last few get their ski's in.

Saturday is the day when we have had the radar runs early in the morning (just after sunrise). I have a gun that we can use, and will be happy to show people how to get to the best spot that we have used in the past, but an acutual plan would make this too organized so i hope all of you can just follow others that have been in the previous two years. Good luck.

There is a cookout it sounds like this year at Jerry's house. There pobably isn't a time or location for this, just ride and have a good time looking for it. Just kidding, it's at his house and you can't miss it. Might still want to follow the "others".

Saturday night is when the trophies that are also not wanted, will be given out---more than 35 of them paid for by me. Those that get them, i hope you enjoy them.

Sunday, most of the people go home. Some stay and ride of they don't have far to drive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information