+1

2004 MSX 110 cranks but no start

2004 MSX 110 with 35 hours, picked it up from my sister that did not ride for 4 years or so. Ran fine 2 weeks ago, now it cranks but will not start. 1/2 tank of fresh fuel. Checked plugs (both of them) but there is no spark. Checked battery and voltage does not drop below 11 volts. Swapped main relay, no luck. Swapped System IFB, no luck. I'm suspecting ECU. Want to check if I am getting what I need on the connector leading to the ignition coils. Anyone know what pins to check and what I am looking for and if that will even tell me if I need the ECU? Also, I did read a post from June 2011 and "Kosh" talked about corrosion on the speed sensor connector being the culprit for the same problem I am having. Where is the speed sensor connector? Thanks for any input.

BTW, the posts you guys put up have been a great asset. I have read most and have learned a ton.

+1
    Howdy.
    When you say it ran fine 2 weeks ago... does that mean started it on the trailer? ran it on the hose? or had it on the water?
    And by fine... everything was normal from idling reving all the way up to max?

Getting any check engine or other indicators on the display?
    Did anything happen from 2 weeks ago when it ran till now when it won't start?
    Battery voltage doesn't drop below 11vdc *while cranking*?

The speed sensor is the engine crankshaft position (aka engine speed) sensor. It is on the right side of the engine, under the intake/piping, at the front of the engine.

Here is a Polaris Tech Tip sheet about testing sensors
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...l=1#post316649

Plus the knowledge bank for the MSX 110/150
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....10-and-msx-150

Good luck!

+1
    Thanks ripcuda for the reply.

2 weeks ago we were in the water, ski ran great all day all the way thru all rpm's and topped out at around 48mph with 3 people on it, pretty sure thats all I'll get out of it from what I read, not bad.

When trying to start now, after cranking for a few seconds, check engine light begins flashing. It does not iluminate again after sitting a few minutes until I crank the engine again, even if I wake up the display before trying to start it.

While cranking, voltage does not drop below 11vdc.

Do I need to remove anything to get to the engine speed sensor?

Thanks again.

+1
    That is odd. Ran great... got put away for a few weeks... and now won't start.

So your grounding a pulled plug with plug wire on it while cranking and there is no spark. Hmmm.

Take a look at the sensor spec sheet I posted above. The ignition coils and speed sensor in particular. See if you can check them with a multimeter. You should be able to check the speed sensor at it's connector since you won't be able to reach it easily. It's way down at the engine bottom... right side... towards the front. I'm not sure if you'll be able to remove it easily... the water lines to heat exchanger/intercooler are in that area. Here's a pic of where it is on the block (green circle).

Also check your grounds... attached to rear side of intake manifold

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	block-right-side2.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	279302

And here's a troubleshoot guide to 'engine turns over but won't start'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSX-No-Start-Troubleshoot.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	279303

Hope that helps. Good luck!

+1
    May be a stupid question, but, is there oil behind the engine speed sensor? Hate to pull it and have a mess.

Thread Information