Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Rock in intake - but not jammed - Replace parts OR ok?

Hey guys!

What a day on bay today, just awesome; beautiful and calm. However, on the way back in I idled over a shallow area and heard the dreaded knocking noise of a rock getting sucked up.

I pulled the cord immediately and got a slow tow back to the dock just 5mins away. Got it up on the trailer, got underneath with a flashlight. There was a rock just sitting there in the intake. It was not jammed anywhere so I just slide it out from the intake area with a long screw driver and inspected the wear ring, impeller and housing. There are two scrapes in the wear ring, but not deep and back from where the impeller turns in the wear ring. The clearance between the ring and all impeller blades in their centres are still small as normal. No obvious issues.

I started for 3 seconds on dry land, no issues. I did a test run in water; no knocking, no vibration, acceleration normal, power and rpm is all normal. The only thing is at top speed. I can't get 91km/hr anymore (the usual for my 2011 GTI 155 Limited), but can only get 88km/hr.

It seems I may have gotten lucky where the rock never actually made it through the actually pump - it seemed to stay out of the impeller but making a few minor hits here and there.

Do you think the pump needs to be hauled off, impeller and/or wear ring replaced? Would like to you know your thoughts and why.

Thanks in advance.

+1
    From what you have posted, I would say you lucked out with minimal damage. I suggest you remove the intake grate and take some pictures of the wear ring and impeller and post them here!

+1
    Sounds like your okay but might of had more then one rock go through it. It all depends on how deep the scrapes are. A loss of 3 km an hr I guess is like 3 mph, thats alot in my book. Check rpms though not speed.

+1
    3kph is only 1.8mph

i hate my bipolar disorder its great
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    3kph is only 1.8mph
    1.8mph is bugger all really... did you try coming in taking a shit and going back out?

id imagine any damage to the wear ring will cause a loss in performance though

Banned User
    +1
    3kph could be the difference between an empty tank and a full tank.
    Or hot day and a cool day.

Quote Originally Posted by lolzer View Post
    3kph could be the difference between an empty tank and a full tank.
    Or hot day and a cool day.
    +1
    If you want to spend a few hundred $ chasing 1,8 mph
    That's fine .
    Personaly naa ride it it's fine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post
    3kph is only 1.8mph
    Thanks, ride it then!

+1

photo and thanks for replies

Hey and thank you all for the replies on this!

I did another test run and verified the RPMs are normal as far as I know. Not sure what it should be at WOT, but in ECO mode, which I usually ride in, I am dead on at 6000RPM with 62km/hr - that has not changed at all. Again acceleration seems normal, no cavitation that I can feel, no vibration, but as mentioned, my top-end speed is not 87-88km/hr instead of 91km/hr.

So, a couple questions:
    1. When should the wear ring and impeller be replaced - when I notice a major (how much?) drop in RPM, how much cavitation or top-end speed loss?

2. What is the best thing to do when you suck up a rock - turn engine off or throttle up more RPMs?

3. Does the wear ring in the photo need to be replaced, given the test run details?

Sorry for the newbie questions, and THANKS for your thoughts/comments and replies.
    Photos attached - I'd appreciate your assessment!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetjump1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	279216   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetpump2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	279217  

Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Hey and thank you all for the replies on this!

I did another test run and verified the RPMs are normal as far as I know. Not sure what it should be at WOT, but in ECO mode, which I usually ride in, I am dead on at 6000RPM with 62km/hr - that has not changed at all. Again acceleration seems normal, no cavitation that I can feel, no vibration, but as mentioned, my top-end speed is not 87-88km/hr instead of 91km/hr.

So, a couple questions:
    1. When should the wear ring and impeller be replaced - when I notice a major (how much?) drop in RPM, how much cavitation or top-end speed loss?

2. What is the best thing to do when you suck up a rock - turn engine off or throttle up more RPMs?

3. Does the wear ring in the photo need to be replaced, given the test run details?

Sorry for the newbie questions, and THANKS for your thoughts/comments and replies.
    Photos attached - I'd appreciate your assessment!
    You did rite turning it off it all looks good.
    You will know when you need a new wear ring major cavitation a dead give away,
    as for a new impeller well you can get them repaired. A lot cheaper than buying new.
    Try not to worry to much I do it all the time just be more carefull in future

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information