97 GP1200 trim handle broken

I bought my GP1200 a couple of years ago with a few basic problems. One of them is missing trim tabs, another is a broken handle where the trim cable goes into the handle. The little keeper area of the plastic is all chewed up.

I am going to try and get someone to make me some aluminum trims tabs with his CNC mill so that is pretty much taken care of.

As for the cable, I can't find anyone that has it for sale. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...BLE/parts.html

It looks like it would be part 2, but please correct me if I am wrong. I don't have the Waverunner here with me and won't for a few weeks. I would like to order it or decide now if it's worth trying to fix so when I get home I have it or have a plan to fix it.

Can anyone confirm for me which piece I need please, or if it's worth trying to fix. Any tips in general would be great.

Thanks!
    -Chad

+1
    It should indeed be item 2. I just picked one up on eBay for $60 shipped used. I asked before I bid whether it was broke and if it ha the ball bearings and springs in it. To broaden your search results, the same handle was used in GP, GPR and XLT and some other early to mid 2000-2005 (rough estimate)
    Do a search on eBay for QSTS handle or look up a different part number for a model newer than gp1200. It may not be updated on the gp1200 fiche.

Thanks for the reply, I found this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZR-F...#ht_577wt_1110 It seems like it might be too new, there were other older ones that I know will work. Any idea if they are close enough?

I assume it's not worth trying to fix with some epoxy and metal tubing or anything?

+1
    I have a few of them trim handles in stock

+1
    I have some GPR handlebars laying in my backyard.. i think the QSTS assembly is still on them.. will have to check to be sure though.. if i have it i will let it go CHEAP.. PM me if you are interested..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chadbobb View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I found this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-FZR-F...#ht_577wt_1110 It seems like it might be too new, there were other older ones that I know will work. Any idea if they are close enough?

I assume it's not worth trying to fix with some epoxy and metal tubing or anything?
    I fixed the first one I had. "welded" a strip of plastic over the hole/ slot then sanded and smoothed it down. It is still holding up but I tore the rest of the handle apart trying to put a different grip. The best deals are usually from forum members like the above two. Also, I think the fzr grips mount differently.

Thread Information