Trailer Tongue Weight....More or Less Better?

Just bought my first ski this past weekend and preparing for the long haul down the Lake Cumberland this weekend and had to change the setup on my trailer and now I'm wondering if I did the right thing. The ski was previously very far forward and didn't rest properly on the bow roller. I moved the tongue back, shortening the trailer and moving the bow roller back as well as moved the ski approx 8-10inches further back. This reduced the tongue weight and stopped the ski from wobbling front to back while towing.

I currently have a tongue weight of 60lbs according to my bathroom scale but plan on adding 2 spare tires to the tongue. Just by setting them on the tongue while its on the scale, it adds 20lbs each or brings the tongue weight up to 100lbs roughly. This is with probably 5gallons of gas in it compared to the max 15 gallons, so I'm sure tongue weight will go up with that as well.

Is 100-110lbs too much or is 60lbs too little?

96 Shorelandr single trailer w/ 96 Seadoo GSX. Trailer weights approx 265lb and ski weighs approx 500lb, add in fluids and the spares I'd say I'm nearing 900lbs all loaded up.

Thanks!

+1
    I dont have a tongue jack so position my ski with about 40 lbs of tongue weight. GPR . Makes it easier to hook up to the car. Unless you are towing with an extremely light vehicle, Id say you are fine with 50-80 lbs of tongue weight if it pulls well down the road for you. I wouldnt go over 10% of trailerweight on tongue.

+1
    I was hauling some fire wood with my wife grandpas trailer and dint have enough tongue weight. I shit my paint when all of a son 30 miles down the road it started jerking me back and fourth almost crashing. Had to stack more wood on the tongue to get make it there. So now I make sure it has allot. I think the weight was part of the problem too. Light truck too.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    7 to 10% of total trailer weight is the typically quoted tongue weight proportion.

It sounds like your 100 pounds is right in the zone. A little more tongue weight is generally better than a little too light.

Choose a ball mount for your tow vehicle that results in the trailer frame riding level when tow vehicle is also loaded with gear for the trip. You do not want the trailer to be nose low when towing, nor do you want the coupler to be too high.

Level trailer frame to slightly high at the coupler is generally ideal for towing stability.

If your tow vehicle sags excessively in the rear when loaded then investigate load lifter products like the Air Lift Company air bags.

My tow vehicle doesn't even notice the trailer on the hitch as far as I can tell. The car doesn't sag/even budge when i put the trailer on and it made the 700 mile trip to cumberland last week just fine, even averaged 29mpg's!

Next question I have and hopefully I can just add it here...where can I get a strap w/ hook for the winch that will work on my front hull/nose hook? The one that is built into the ski is nearly flat/flush with the hull and the winch strap on there has a hook that won't fit....so I used a regular ratchet strap for now but it's annoying.

Anyone have any ideas? I've looked on like Overton's but it looks identical to what I have and don't really want to have one shipped that won't work.

1996 Seadoo GSX if anyone is familiar with what I'm talking about.

Thanks

Oh and here's a picture of my car/trailer setup.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Next question I have and hopefully I can just add it here...where can I get a strap w/ hook for the winch that will work on my front hull/nose hook? The one that is built into the ski is nearly flat/flush with the hull and the winch strap on there has a hook that won't fit....so I used a regular ratchet strap for now but it's annoying.

Anyone have any ideas? I've looked on like Overton's but it looks identical to what I have and don't really want to have one shipped that won't work.

1996 Seadoo GSX if anyone is familiar with what I'm talking about.

Thanks
    http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...1&merchID=4006

Thread Information