Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Is this ski worth it CL ad

http://maine.craigslist.org/bod/3118488902.html Im sure its not but the price got my eye. Are these trouble?

+1
    Read up in the MSX section. There was a common problem with the oil tank that caused the water-in-oil condition. I think the updated kit was around $300.

KJ

+1
    Water in the oil is a problem. Only purchase if you can get your money out of it in parts. There could be internal $$$$ engine damage becaues of water in the oil.

The oil upgrade kit runs about $450 nowadays. Water in the oil is usually caused by a failed seal in the stock oil tank. For $800 I would definitely pick that ski up, put the upgraded oil tank in it, flush the oil circuit a few times and top it off with new oil and see how she runs. You can part out the turbo alone on that ski if it is still good for $500-1000 so if you are willing to part it if it does not run, it could be worth it.

+1
    I'm with Redrum. Heck Yeah! I'd pick that up for $800... if only to have for parts for my MSX 150. But I would NOT recommend it.

Skip it if you're looking for a cheap to fix, easy to diagnose, mechanically simple, easy to wrench on, numerous with lots of parts and folks to help you out with them... like most of the 2-stroke Polaris skis.

This is the only 4-stroke, turbo charged, Weber engined, Polaris and only offered for 1 year (2004) in the MSX 110 and MSX 150. It's got it's fair share of known "issues" that plague it. It's a bear to wrench on... very tight engine bay. Parts are expensive... only a few Weber parts guys. Hardly any dealers will touch them anymore. Hardly any dealers have cables to connect ECU to Digital Wrench (Dealer only diagnostic software). And a very small knowledge base of folks that have them.

As for parting them out... there seems of late to be a few 3-4 always being parted out on ebay... and the asking prices (first bid prices) are pretty high for most of the parts. That said... I don't know how most of those parts sell... or even if they do. There can't be that big a market out there for folks needing parts.

My $0.02. Cheers!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    I'm with Redrum. Heck Yeah! I'd pick that up for $800... if only to have for parts for my MSX 150. But I would NOT recommend it.

Skip it if you're looking for a cheap to fix, easy to diagnose, mechanically simple, easy to wrench on, numerous with lots of parts and folks to help you out with them... like most of the 2-stroke Polaris skis.

This is the only 4-stroke, turbo charged, Weber engined, Polaris and only offered for 1 year (2004) in the MSX 110 and MSX 150. It's got it's fair share of known "issues" that plague it. It's a bear to wrench on... very tight engine bay. Parts are expensive... only a few Weber parts guys. Hardly any dealers will touch them anymore. Hardly any dealers have cables to connect ECU to Digital Wrench (Dealer only diagnostic software). And a very small knowledge base of folks that have them.

As for parting them out... there seems of late to be a few 3-4 always being parted out on ebay... and the asking prices (first bid prices) are pretty high for most of the parts. That said... I don't know how most of those parts sell... or even if they do. There can't be that big a market out there for folks needing parts.

My $0.02. Cheers!
    I will give it a few days and see if they still have it. Im still trying to sell my other skis too. I have a dealer 10 min away who used to be a polaris marine dealer, and still services them and has parts instock. My snowmobile also has the 750 webber in it but looks to be different. Precision has parts for the webber so we would be good on that end. I was just looking for something to put in the garage over the winter and play with.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rsracin05 View Post
    I will give it a few days and see if they still have it. Im still trying to sell my other skis too. I have a dealer 10 min away who used to be a polaris marine dealer, and still services them and has parts instock. My snowmobile also has the 750 webber in it but looks to be different. Precision has parts for the webber so we would be good on that end. I was just looking for something to put in the garage over the winter and play with.
    If you know the challenges and are still thinking "I can do this"... then heck yeah! Get it!

Do a compression test. Hopefully you won't have any flaking Nikasil issues. The water in the oil is commonly the oil tank as Redrum mentioned. And you will need to thoroughly go through the whole intake tract to clean it out... including the IC (which is smaller on the 110).

Heck... get a 150 IC, hardpipe with BOV and impeller... and get the Desperado reflash and BAM! You gotta 150!

Plus you already gotta Weber in your snowmobile... so you have a reference.

Keep us posted over in the MSX/Matrix section if you pick up this project!

Cheers!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    If you know the challenges and are still thinking "I can do this"... then heck yeah! Get it!

Do a compression test. Hopefully you won't have any flaking Nikasil issues. The water in the oil is commonly the oil tank as Redrum mentioned. And you will need to thoroughly go through the whole intake tract to clean it out... including the IC (which is smaller on the 110).

Heck... get a 150 IC, hardpipe with BOV and impeller... and get the Desperado reflash and BAM! You gotta 150!

Plus you already gotta Weber in your snowmobile... so you have a reference.

Keep us posted over in the MSX/Matrix section if you pick up this project!

Cheers!
    I have an aftermarket IC on my sled would the stock one from that fit this 110?

+1
    I wouldn't take a 110 or a 150 even if it was free unless I had full intentions of parting it out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rsracin05 View Post
    I have an aftermarket IC on my sled would the stock one from that fit this 110?
    I'd bet no since everything is so compact and tight fitting on the skis... but take some measurements and see. Hard to say without seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by GGG
    I wouldn't take a 110 or a 150 even if it was free unless I had full intentions of parting it out.
    Parting it out and then stuffing in a 4-TEC!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information