Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha Guys strayed to Sea-doo - Need back on the wagon - FZR???

I have always been a yamaha guy - several superjets, blaster 1's, blaster2's, and the always popular Barca Lounger on the water (FX-HO cruiser)....I still have these...and in general no Yamaha has ever given me problems I didn't ask for/deserve........ A couple of years ago bought a pair of RXP's (215hp)....and have nothing but problems out of them........bone stock except for metal washers in the Supercharger's (After failure of ceramics in one)...had the extended warranty for most of it....but warranty just ran out and the Supercharger in one with only 25 hours on the SC (70 hours on the boat) bearings have failed and the impeller has landed on the housing...so I need an SC......and of course I have the early '06 with the exhaust valves that like to give up...so they scare me as well...so I'm done with the RXP's....going on the block I am looking at the Yamaha line-up and wondering about the FZR - I want something quick, agile steering, but does not need to be lighting fast (I was happy with the RXP's speed/handing). My question is are these types of problems consistent across the brands - does the FZR give SC bearing and clutch failures like I have had with the RXP? I don't mind periodic maintenance on the clutches, etc....its' the failures I hate....should I be looking for a non-supercharged model if I want traditional Yamaha predictability? Any years of FZR's I should avoid?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by goblastergo View Post
    I am looking at the Yamaha line-up and wondering about the FZR - I want something quick, agile steering, but does not need to be lighting fast (I was happy with the RXP's speed/handing).
    Sounds like the FZR/S would be perfect for you; it was designed to compete against the RXP and it does that very well. In fact, they compete well against any stock craft on the water, while keeping the lighter, athletic feel and agility.

Quote Originally Posted by goblastergo View Post
    My question is are these types of problems consistent across the brands - does the FZR give SC bearing and clutch failures like I have had with the RXP? I don't mind periodic maintenance on the clutches, etc....its' the failures I hate....should I be looking for a non-supercharged model if I want traditional Yamaha predictability? Any years of FZR's I should avoid?
    The FZ's have been great skis for us, and a great value for the dollar. Only thing I do suggest swapping is the FZ intake grate for safety (see sticky).

With stock boost, the SC is very reliable; but of course the clutch is a wear item and it will go out eventually; it varies with throttle control. But if it does fail, it doesn't tear up your oil pumps/engine like those cursed BRP ceramic clutch washers.

The nice thing about Yamaha is you can get 5 years of warranty vs. 4 on the Sea-Doos. So just get a 5 year Y.E.S. warranty and you'll be good to go.

In my experience the problems are not consistent across the brands; this is why the rental industry relies heavily on Yamaha for durability. in 4 years we had over $15K in warranty repairs on our RXT's—and yes—that included bad bearings and we had dropped valves too.

Our FZ's have a combined nearly 400 hours and zero repairs; the only extra maintenance required was a quart of oil in one ski, that's in 2 years of weekly operation. They don't have all Sea-Doo's bells and whistles like a brake and computer modes, but they are very durable.

If you want to avoid the SC, you can go with the non-supercharged VXR/S; you'll be giving up the trim system and some handling in the chop, but you will get excellent fuel economy and the same 1812cc engine. Hope this helps!

3. +1 by:

+1
    Get a VXR or VXS. I've owned 3 RXPs and am sick of SC probs. I'm happy with my VXS. Just outran a 2010 RXP-X and FZR with it weekend before last. But mine is a little modded. Just know they only top out with mods around 72-73 though. If you want more than that gotta hit the boosted skis.

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    The nice thing about Yamaha is you can get 5 years of warranty vs. 4 on the Sea-Doos. So just get a 5 year Y.E.S. warranty and you'll be good to go.
    There have been several posts in the last week about 5 year SD warranties that I've seen.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by carguy89 View Post
    There have been several posts in the last week about 5 year SD warranties that I've seen.
    Well I hope they "step up" and change it, but I just called the Champions Powersports Finance Manager in central FL; he confirmed the maximum B.E.S.T. warranty is still only 4 years in the state of Florida. When it comes to warranties, I don't trust what I read on forums.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Get a VXR or VXS. I've owned 3 RXPs and am sick of SC probs. I'm happy with my VXS. Just outran a 2010 RXP-X and FZR with it weekend before last. But mine is a little modded. Just know they only top out with mods around 72-73 though. If you want more than that gotta hit the boosted skis.
    That said, the 04-06 SeaDoo SC'ed skis were notorious pains in the butt. It seems like SeaDoo has their chit together on their SC's these days. It's just something you have to have done every 100-200 hours that you don't have to have done on non SC'ed skis.

From reading between the lines on this forum it seems Yamaha is still in that early SC phase like SeaDoo was a few years back as they continue to revise their SC design. One thing I did like about the SeaDoo's is to get it fixed, you removed a couple of clamps and bolts and pulled the SC and shipped it to Jerry and a day or two later it was back and better than ever. By comparison, look at the sticky for what has to be done when the SC goes on the Yamaha.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=130451

+1
    i got a seadoo IS I CANT GIVE IT AWAY JUST ABOUT I WENT TO A 2012 FZR MODDED OUT THE AZZ NO ISUES AT ALL JUST RIDE in my book seadoo are junk i had nothing but issues out of it i never buy another seadoo

NJ -> MD Jet ski trip fuel mileage champ carguy89's Avatar
    +1
    That said, the 04-06 SeaDoo SC'ed skis were notorious pains in the butt. It seems like SeaDoo has their chit together on their SC's these days. It's just something you have to have done every 100-200 hours that you don't have to have done on non SC'ed skis. From reading between the lines on this forum it seems Yamaha is still in that early SC phase like SeaDoo was a few years back as they continue to revise their SC design. One thing I did like about the SeaDoo's is to get it fixed, you removed a couple of clamps and bolts and pulled the SC and shipped it to Jerry and a day or two later it was back and better than ever. By comparison, look at the sticky for what has to be done when the SC goes on the Yamaha. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=130451
    I would agree. My 08 has 150 hours on it (100 of those in the past year). And rebuilding the s/c at 109 hours and changing the oil are the only things I have done. However, I have had numerous friends have issues with the Yamaha clutches, some as earlier than 30 hours and these are experienced riders who log 100+ hours a year.

+1
    One thing I did like about the SeaDoo's is to get it fixed, you removed a couple of clamps and bolts and pulled the SC and shipped it to Jerry and a day or two later it was back and better than ever.
    The problem was, if you lost the ceramic clutch washers on a Sea-Doo they had to pull the entire $%&@ engine; many times the oil pumps were scarred up so they needed replacing also. If those pumps were not replaced, they slowly starved the engine of oil and you ended up with a $7,000 repair bill.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    The problem was, if you lost the ceramic clutch washers on a Sea-Doo they had to pull the entire $%&@ engine; many times the oil pumps were scarred up so they needed replacing also. If those pumps were not replaced, they slowly starved the engine of oil and you ended up with a $7,000 repair bill.
    Yep, that's how it used to be in the pre metal washers (04-06) day. Was a bummer, I dealt with it a lot back then. Was happy when the metal washers came along and then when SeaDoo adopted them in 2008 and ended that crap. The weird thing... my 2003 GTX-SC had metal washers on it stock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information