Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Towing with or without cover?

Heading to Maine next week with my 2 RXTis 260's, do you guys tow with or without covers installed?

It all depends on the cover you have,The sea doo covers you can leave on up to I think around 60 mph.

+1
    Dont do it. I have OEM S/D covers that are so tight I could hardly get on the ski. I had mine on and towed 500 miles. The wind hardly buffered the covers at all. When I got home, I found that the plastic on my trim switch was worn on a corner.
    If you still do it, make sure you skis are clean and the covers are too so that your paint doesnt get scratched. Good luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by taz01 View Post
    It all depends on the cover you have,The sea doo covers you can leave on up to I think around 60 mph.
    OEM covers.

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    OEM covers tow very well 'on', and will do better than 60 w/o flapping or coming off.

The GTR came from Cali to Fla with the cover on... it sucked down to it like a second skin, and traveled very well IMO.

The wifes ski had an aftermarket cover on and belly straps - good thing, looked like a damn balloon till I took it off and stowed it.
    What is it, 'covercraft' or something like that; good for storage only, sucked for travel.

I dont have my cover yet but I talked to a lot of people at the lake with OEM covers and they all said the same thing,They love it and have had no problems with leaving it on going down the road,so im getting the OEM cover.I do take a wet towel and a dry towel with me to wipe the ski off after Im done riding.

+1
    I have a oem cover on my 12 rxtx. I recently trailered it from ny to miami and back. The cover stayed on tight and did not flap at all. I did notice my trim button is worn down a bit and my mirrors have swirl marks on them. I would leave the cover on it, if i did the trip again. Just make sure your ski is clean. I recently broke my rear bumper jumping waves but I have a feeling that i might of cracked the plastic around the screws underneath from ratcheting the ski down really tight for the trip. It never hurts to throw a coat of wax on it before the trip.

+1
    Not sure about the ratcheting straps on the back. It would seem that you put too much pressure on the back deck in an awkward direction. I use the slifding adjustable straps and just put them snug . I think this allows the ski to ride on top of the carpet bunks taher than wear it down so much. Just a thought. i do not trailer with covers on I have oenm covers for both skis and the both leave wear maks on the mirrors and front of the sk. I carry them with me to cover when I stop at night. JMO

+1
    Quite a few threads on towing with cover, consensus is to tow naked. I towed 500 mile trip, did get some scuffing with yamaha oem cover.

+1
    I never tow covered ... it tends to stretch and wear the cover out faster, and it is not uncommon for the abrasion of the cover to 'sand' your paint/gelcoat too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information