Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

how "school trained" mechanics miss obvious stuff....

Had a GTX-RFI show up last week. The owner was distraught.

They had been at an "out of state shop" for over a year and he finally pulled them out after the mechanic ( with lots of certificates on the wall) said he couldn't get the engine started. He went on and on how they had good compression and good spark and plenty of fuel pressure. Still the motor wouldn't start.

Now I'm sure ALL of you here will chime in with the correct answer..the question is how did this supposedly school trained tech miss such an obvious problem.

needless to say this obvious problem requires a complete engine tear down, which the owner cannot afford since he had to pay the other shop over $1000 to get his ski out ( seems they claimed the problem was the jetpump..so they put in a new one..then it was the "mppm", put one of those in also.

Now he has no cash to pay the poor old captain to do the job..and when I told him how low the book value was on his ski he started in with "heck I just had the seats recovered and all of those new parts"..I just shook my head and told him to hook it up and take it home, come back when you have some money to get it fixed. I offered him $400for the ski as it was (sans trailer)

so for ten points and a nod from the captain...

what was the problem?

Don't have any certs on the wall but I'm guessing it wouldn't pass a leak down test. Crank seals bad?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynlow View Post
    Don't have any certs on the wall but I'm guessing it wouldn't pass a leak down test. Crank seals bad?
    +1 or rotory valve

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    you said "obvious" hmmmm out of gas? lol

Banned User
    +1
    you're killing me... tell us lol

plugs fouled?

It says it requires a complete tear down.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynlow View Post
    It says it requires a complete tear down.
    A bit of small end bearing (my best guess) somehow got into the rotary valve and dug in there like an anchor stripping the rotary valve drive gear like "brandi" loses her skirt and top at the (d)ouble (d)estruction) club.

for all intents the motor sounded like it was cranking normally and my usual squirt of gas or two resulted in a very tiny wisp of smoke coming up the throttle body..which was the clue to pull the tb and check the movement of the rv disk. Candoo showed no active codes and that was a huge clue that is was a mechanical problem and confirmed my suspicion. factr that the engine had over 300 hours on it was also a big clue

When I first got back into this business ( has it been 5 years already?) I ran into a similar problem and was spoofed he same way, not having any real hands on with seadoo ( i cut my teeth back in the 80's @ a kawasaki dealership then had a long period when I went white collar) The only difference is when I have a job that goes sideways for any reason, I'm not inclined to take somebodies money.

Moving the same air back and forth will pump up a compression gauge to a respectable number

Now for a really useful thread..share your favorite head slapping moment and quiz the rest of us.

My memory is pretty sharp..which is why I find GH a fantastic resource for me. I read lots of stuff...and sometimes the bell goes off in my head that I read that _somewhere_

I come across these types of stories all the time. This is a prime example of the difference between "smart" and "intelligent".

I come across a lot of smart people, but very few truly intelligent ones.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OCD Solutions View Post
    I come across these types of stories all the time. This is a prime example of the difference between "smart" and "intelligent".

I come across a lot of smart people, but very few truly intelligent ones.
    Hmmmm......like not having insurance on paid off skis? Just sayin'!

I resemble that remark but only because I can't find a company to insure a "built" ski, much less a full custom like my Trinity.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information