Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

what kind of paint for a gpr

i have some nicks and chips on the hull of my gp1200r ski and i have read elsewhere in the forum that the gprs are not fiberglass and gel coated but they are smc and painted ,if true can anyone tell me what type of paint i should use and does the hull have a base coat and clear coat finish? i also have a repair area on the front where someone had run the ski into a bouy. any input will be appreciated.

+1
    Just bought some from here http://colorrite.com/
    I have yet to use it but they seem to have all the factory colors.

3 x 1800 feeding my obsession sconti stellari's Avatar
    any paint will work just others work better.
    buy a base coat clear coat system with the clear being "high solids" will give you the best uv and scratch protection.

+1
    If you are painting the whole ski,dupont imron is the way to go,its made for fleet and marine applications and is tough as nails and moderately priced.my brothers semi was painted from the factory with imron and 6yrs and 800k miles later it still looks great.a good high solids clear will work great,but won't be as scratch resistant and will end up costing more money considering a good brand name can cost $50 a quart plus $40 for the harderner and another $20 for the reducer and that's not including the base color or primers or sealers

do you think a good quality solvent base acrylic urethane will work. a rep at an auto paint store recommended that to me.

+1
    Are you talking about a cheaper single stage paint,those do work well,but especially on a boat the sun can really fade the paint out pretty fast and can lose its gloss,base/clear is the way to go,since the clear has a lot of uv protection in it,but if I were to go with a single stage I would find a dupont dealer and use imron,just use a good respirator

+1
    I restore speed boats and cars and use Tamco duriflint 2 ,for the boats, It come in clear and colors as well, Its better then Imron and its single stage at a fraction of the cost, call them up at 757-622-2331 I am redoing My 1200R and its comming out beautiful, I have rammed the front of the bow of my last speed boat into a dock be for that had this on it and it hardly left a scratch.

+1
    I wonder if duriflint is any way associated with the old amer-flint paint they used to sell years ago,that stuff was nasty to spray,but was tough as nails and would lay out smooth as glass and almost impossible to drip.I think after all the voc laws came into effect they stopped makin it.

+1

+1
    Yep you got it, it is from the amer-flint family, but is way better,not as harmful as Imron as I shot it befor I was sick for 2 /3 days afterwards whereing a resperator, easy to shoot and tough as nails just did my hull on the ski with it and it looks as glass and super white, its so easy to shoot, I did mine outside in the wind, using mid temp reducer in the beating sun at 93 degrees, where as the dupont Imron probobly cost him big $ I spent $25 for the quart, reducer and activator.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information