96 Kawasaki 1100zxi KATS trim not working and a possible Carb problem

Hey, I recently bought a 96 1100zxi from a close family friend. It has always ran great and everything worked fine as long as I have know the ski. It had sat for a year at the most and I just bought it and put a new battery in it and fresh gas on top of the old , possible mistake! Replaced spark plugs and took it to the lake and it ran great, except for the trim stuck in the down position. Ran the tank of gas out after 2hrs and we stopped and filled it back up. Cranked it up and gave it gas and it bogged.I did this over and over till I feathered the gas enough for it to take off. I have put up wt this hesitation for a while now, after running "Sea Foam" through it and 93 No ethanol. The hesitation has gotting somewhat better but still running like crap. Btw my carbs are not stock they are performance Keihin Carbs.

The KATS system is stuck in the doward position and makes the ride so rough for two people. I have looked into this problem some but I need more help!! I know my boots are busted on the cable which water has ran into my trim box, but has not corroded everything bad. Just a little rust on the front side of the motor. The only thing I get out of the thing is a click sound when I press the "up" "down" button in the electronic modual under the dash. So last night I took a meter after disconnecting the two wire connectors and checked power on each prong when I pressed the trim button. I got 1.5volts from the white connector and nothing from the green connector. So Im stuck now......

+1
    What are Keihin 'performance' carbs?

If you've got rust on the motor, you need to tear into it and fix it or replace it. I'd bet the inside of the cover and gears are packed with crud.

Im not sure about the size of the carbs but I know they arent stock. The original owner put all the aftermarket parts on it. The keihin carbs, primer kit. impeller . intake grate underneath and the flat metal plate on the bottom at the back. So I have nothing to go off of on the carbs since they arent stock.

Im going to tear into the motor this weekend and see what it looks like. Do you think the electrical box is messed up since it isnt sending 12 volts to the motor?

+1
    Don't know about the electrical box being messed up. I've seen more problems due to corroded connectors in the wiring harness (and in the electrical box).

Alright, ill look at all the connectors. These things are hard to work on in such a tight space.lol

+1
    You can open up the trim box and apply power directly to the motor. I don't remember which wires, I believe blue and green, but it's been a year since I worked on one.

Alright I took the trim box totally apart and tested the motor and It didnt do a thing. I dissembled the motor and broke it loose but it still had no power. SO i guess its shot. Btw it was all rusted. So in the mean time I turned the trim worm gear till the jet was at the neutral position and put it all back together.

Thread Information