Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Moral Dilemma of Sorts

Imagine for a moment that you and the majority of the people you ride with "must" commute back and forth to various riding spots in your region as well as the occasional road trip caravan to farther reaches.

Now lets imagine that 99% of your riding buddies are procrastinator types who dont maintain there equipment (tires, bearings, tow rigs) or bother to carry a spare tire or even a few tools.

If there's one guarantee with trailers its gotta be that tires fail and bearings are'nt far off most of the time. For this reason I tend to be fairly obsessive about lubing the hubs, maintaining tire pressure, and replacing as needed. My time off is far to valuable to me to spend it cocking around on the side of the highway waiting on a service truck.

Recently I had a flat on I55. I pulled over assessed, replaced, and got back on the road in less than ten minutes. This got me thinking about how this might have gone for one of my friends who are not so prepared. This lead me to wonder what would I do if we were traveling as a group. Giving up a spare (as a loan) is pretty simple. I suppose loaning a spare hub ( if I carried one) is no biggie either. However, what about the responsibility we all have to take care of our own rigs? What if their failure to maintain stuff lead to full hub seizure causing a blowout leading to losing half a day of sweating like a goon on the side of the freeway trying to get their shiat patched back together?

See the dilemma? Roll on ahead or no?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinton Robbins View Post
    Imagine for a moment that you and the majority of the people you ride with "must" commute back and forth to various riding spots in your region as well as the occasional road trip caravan to farther reaches.

Now lets imagine that 99% of your riding buddies are procrastinator types who dont maintain there equipment (tires, bearings, tow rigs) or bother to carry a spare tire or even a few tools.

If there's one guarantee with trailers its gotta be that tires fail and bearings are'nt far off most of the time. For this reason I tend to be fairly obsessive about lubing the hubs, maintaining tire pressure, and replacing as needed. My time off is far to valuable to me to spend it cocking around on the side of the highway waiting on a service truck.

Recently I had a flat on I55. I pulled over assessed, replaced, and got back on the road in less than ten minutes. This got me thinking about how this might have gone for one of my friends who are not so prepared. This lead me to wonder what would I do if we were traveling as a group. Giving up a spare (as a loan) is pretty simple. I suppose loaning a spare hub ( if I carried one) is no biggie either. However, what about the responsibility we all have to take care of our own rigs? What if their failure to maintain stuff lead to full hub seizure causing a blowout leading to losing half a day of sweating like a goon on the side of the freeway trying to get their shiat patched back together?

See the dilemma? Roll on ahead or no?
    There is no dilemma, you never leave a friend behind, period!!!!! You my man, have a problem if you roll by.

+1
    According to top gear uk, you are better off to just leave them , I love that recurring theme.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    you stick with them get their shit fixed and then make them buy you dinner/drinks/lunch or whatever.... its a win win for both parties

+1
    Interesting so far. Keep the comments/opinions coming.

Keep in mind in some cases these people have been reminded multiple times about the importance of maintaining their gear.

Just relax and enjoy the ride. XLT Chad's Avatar
    +1
    Yep, get 'em fixed and back on the road, then give them shit about it later.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    you stick with them get their shit fixed and then make them buy you dinner/drinks/lunch or whatever.... its a win win for both parties
    Absolultely you stick with them, get them fixed then dinner/beer on them. You would be a supreme dick if you left your buddies on side of road.

Having said that, if my buddies were procrastinators I would say " see ya there" before we ever left town. If you are in a wagon train, gotta help each other out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Avi8tor View Post
    Absolultely you stick with them, get them fixed then dinner/beer on them. You would be a supreme dick if you left your buddies on side of road.

Having said that, if my buddies were procrastinators I would say " see ya there" before we ever left town. If you are in a wagon train, gotta help each other out.
    Now this makes sense!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I have little sympathy for folks who try to squeeze the last 50 miles out of a tire that is carrying a few grand worth of skis. You would just not believe some of the tires I've had to change.

I recently had one show up for a service with a giant blister on the inside of the tire. Trailer had a pair of waverunners on it...did he let me replace it..of course not. I'll just mosey up to walmart and get one there he says

Guess who I saw on the interstate an hour later on the side of the road with a shredded tire?

no sympathy

+1
    This sounds like a re-occurring theme in your hobby.

Considering STRATEGICALLY spending some time showing your friends how to maintain their trailers.

Never leave them on the side of the road. Ever... One day it could be you. I've blown 2 good spares back/back due to road conditions and was lucky to have buddies there with me at 2am to keep us limping down the road. I was able to return the favor less than a year later.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information