Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1998 SLH 700 doing strange things

I am working on a 1998 SLH 700 for a friend of mine.

He got it out for the first time this year this past weekend and of course the battery was dead. He just jump started it and tried riding it. I had just went through the carbs for him and put fresh fuel in it.

It wouldn't rev above 1/4 throttle at the most. It wouldn't make a difference if you used a little choke or not. I know these things need good batteries so I had him get a new battery for it. After charging that up, he went back out and it ran the same way.

He came back in and tried to shut it off and it wouldn't. He pulled the tether out and it just kept idling. He had to choke it out to get it killed.

It then lost spark after that. What would be causing all this. I'm thinking somthing electrical is bad causing it not to rev and then loose spark but not sure how to test the stator and cdi.
    Last edited by K447; 08-04-2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: 1998 SLH 700, not 99 SLH 750

+1
    Some times these things don't like to be jumped.

The stop switch is pretty simple,it just grounds the blk/yel CDI wire. So I would start there,you could have lost ground connection,including ground for the CDI.
    After that check to see if you have at least 10.6 volts while cranking on the Red/pur CDI wire.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    I would do stator tests. Just a note, the SLH is the domestic 700, not the Fuji 750.
    Last edited by K447; 08-04-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Checked stator and this is what I found.
    Black to engine ground- .02 ohms
    Black to purple- 1261 ohms (spec said 1200)
    Black to gray- 82.4 ohms (spec said 8
    Yellow to red/purple- .80 (spec said .75)
    I removed the black/yellow wire in the electrical box and still had no spark.
    I also had 11.4 volts while cranking.

Is there anymore tests I can do. How can I check the coils. I'm thinking its the cdi since it had no power when he started it and then it wouldn't shut off with the kill switch, but the kill switch tests fine.

Banned User
    +1
    Jump starting these things can sometimes cook the CDI

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdooracer View Post
    Is there anymore tests I can do. How can I check the coils. I'm thinking its the cdi since it had no power when he started it and then it wouldn't shut off with the kill switch, but the kill switch tests fine.
    According to your stator readings,you have the original style/non-updated ignition.
    Coil= secondary=should have 5500-7000 ohms from the each plug wire boot to engine ground.
    primary= .35 blk/wht to yel/brn and blk/wht to blk/grn.

It is worth while to do the stator tests using the 9v battery to make sure the stator is sending good signal to the CDI.
    If in fact you have a good ground on the blk/yel CDI wire and it did not shut off,than yes I would say something is wrong in the CDI.

With the original ign-there should be a small black wire going to the battery neg,is it in good shape ?

That 11.4 cranking was on the red/pur CDI wire ?

I am trying to be specific with these tests because Polaris has discontiued nearly all ignition parts-I imagine used parts are going to be pricey-better not to guess.

Did some checking and this is what I found.
    6140 ohms and 6090 ohms for the plug wire to ground
    .4 ohms on blk/white to yel/brn
    .6 ohms on blk/white to blk/grn
    The 11.4 cranking volts was on the red/pur cdi wire.
    Can I get more info on the 9 volt battery test. I watched a video on it and it was on a new ski that was a triple so I didn't quite follow it.

+1
    Disconnect all the stator wires.
    Attach a 9v battery. negative post to the black wire. Positive to the Brown wire.
    Put either lead from your ohm meter on the black wire-the other lead on the green wire.
    Slowly turn the engine over by hand,the meter should read infinite resistance most of the time. When the trigger magnet on the flywheel reaches the correct place-the meter will read low resistance,pretty sure it will be around 100 ohms,if you turn the engine further the meter will read infinite/open again.

Switch the meter lead to the red wire and repeat test.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinstallations View Post
    ... The SLH is the domestic 700, not the Fuji 750.
    Teamdooracer, please confirm this is a 1999 SLH and has the two cylinder red domestic 700 engine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information