NEED HELP!!! 1996 XP Electrical

Ok so here is my diagnosis on the ski:

I decided to take it back down some shallow channels to stop by a relatives house that has a channel behind it, I made it fine and without any issues. The water level was down to about 6" - 8" before I shut her off and pushed it up to the dock. I hung out at their house for about an hour, then went back; pushed the ski out to deeper water and tried to start it and got nothing. I removed the seat and could hear the starter solenoid click one time, each time I depressed the start button. The starter motor however, is not engaging at all or even making any noises.

2 days later, I return and start cleaning the ski. I sprayed out the back end and pump to see if there was a rock or anything stuck. I cleaned out the intake grill very well and found nothing obstructing water flow. I removed the spark plugs and can turn the driveshaft in each direction without any problem. So I figured it has to be an electrical issue. I grabbed my multi-meter and measured battery voltage and its 12.86V, measured the voltage at the first post of the solenoid and get nearly the same reading at the battery. I push the start button and measure second post, still good voltage there. Continuing down the path to the starter, I measure just over 12V on the starter post when the start button is depressed.

Im guessing I need to replace the starter but I wanted to check with the experts here and get your feedback before I order a new starter and swap it out.

Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    pull the starter and tear it down, you'll likely find a brush entirely gone in which case you order the replacement starter with full confidence

good diagnostics btw

oh yeah..welcome abord GH!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    agree with above...

Think I should replace the solenoid while Im at it, just hang on to the old one for a spare? Any idea what would cause the starter to go out in this situation or was it just coincidence that it went out while I was back in the shallows and muck...

Happy to be here, already learning a lot thanks to everyone that contributes.

+1
    ususally its the fact that the ski is 16 years old...most car parts dont last that long

Good point! Tracking down an OEM replacement is proving difficult, the OEM store here doesnt sell the assembly anymore. Probably just going to end up with a rebuild kit and do it myself to learn something.

+1
    make sure that you clean the fuel system too if you havent already. there is a sticky at the top of the two stroke section on how to accomplish this so you are not soing a top end later.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    oem starters are way overpriced for what they are. You can by a brush plate kit for about the third of the cost of a chinese cheapo starter..but to be honest..the chinese cheapo starters seems to be made pretty good for the money they go for..the only questionable bits are the bendix and the fact that many of the chinese starters I've looked over don't use needle bearings..they use brash bushing which won't have the lifespan of an oem with needle bearings.

.....but again $100 vs $350(oem) it's a sure bet I'd go with the cheaper. I prefer a new starter with new seals all around vs. the brush plate kit. Once a starter is overheated a few times the rubber rings fail to seal and you have the possibility of water intrusion which is the road to death for a starter.

Solenoids are cheap enough to change out..just top be sure you don't get stuck in a bad spot.

Beware the melted down starter or solenoid..there is usally a back end story about that if you don't find out what's up..you may be doing the starter again(and again)

"it's seldom "just the starter" Dpn't forget..starters rated for 5-10 seconds continuous and solenoids at 30 seconds continuous. Longer then that and you damage them.

(A little grease on the bendix and around the nose of the starter makes things simpler to install)

Thread Information