Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1

Exclamation Time to give some Serious Thought to our Skis.

The word out is that PVL doesn't have any plans on producing any more parts for Polaris because Mother Polaris isn't going to support anything for them anymore.

So that means what is out and running or stored is all there is. So we need to find some sort of replacements....

One thought has come to my mind..at least for Domestics. My big question is what are the Knock Off China ones using? I know a lot of people read this forum, and maybe someone has one of these skis.

I think most China versions are 2 cylinders, so CDI's for triples would be out, but the LR 505's are the same on both Polaris twins and three cylinder, and maybe the China stators and CDI's for the twins may be an answer.

Also someone with the knowledge might want to start exploring if the parts could be rebuilt or duplicated.

I transcend race Hombre! TBone14's Avatar
    +1
    I agree 100% - had a hell of a time finding a CDI for the slx - and the ones I did find wanted $500 for a $200 part - I plan on double checking mine to make sure it's bad and then dismantling it to see if my elec engineer buddies can duplicate it.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Stage one would be to dissolve the CDI and LR module potting material and determine repairability of the internal electronics.

DFI has done this for the Ficht EMM modules and turned it into a business.

If the existing modules can be repaired that is a valid option.

Replicating and manufacturing entire replacement modules is a non-trivial exercise. It would require significant engineering and development effort, followed by the expense and commitment to actually make them in some quantity.

I suggest that we scour the existing alternative parts currently available for non-watercraft Polaris products and non-Polaris brand machines (land, snow or water). Where existing parts can be adapted or directly substituted that would be the easy way to go.

+1
    Great, and I just got a damn ski...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonrider10022 View Post
    Great, and I just got a damn ski...
    lol...it's not the H20 apocalypse. Just a very wise though process of how to avoid it. Plenty of years left if you employ a little TLC.

Banned User
    +1
    I would suspect that in a few years, used domestic parts will become as common as used Fuji parts are now, as more people part out skis that have various other issues. Or we can just drop a 4 tec in all of our Polaris hulls.......

One thought might be to accumulate all the old ignition system parts most of us have and make them available to anyone still on non-upgraded skis. I am sure there are lots of old working stators, CDIs and coils out there in the corners of garages. I bet most people just did the upgrade without ever trying to diagnose which part had failed. Thats sure what i did.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    I would suspect that in a few years, used domestic parts will become as common as used Fuji parts are now, as more people part out skis that have various other issues. Or we can just drop a 4 tec in all of our Polaris hulls.......
    Have you been talking with GGG or BD? lol look sto be a good option!

+1
    I purchased a new aftermarket stator for my boat (Mercury/Force) from this vendor: http://www.cdielectronics.com/ I have already emailed them about the Polaris situation. Perhaps an email campaign to this organization would peak their interest in R&D to develop New aftermarket replacements for the entire line??? They may even start to dabble in high performance ignition upgrades for this equipment? What do you all think??

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I purchased a new aftermarket stator for my boat (Mercury/Force) from this vendor: http://www.cdielectronics.com/ I have already emailed them about the Polaris situation. Perhaps an email campaign to this organization would peak their interest in R&D to develop New aftermarket replacements for the entire line??? They may even start to dabble in high performance ignition upgrades for this equipment? What do you all think??

I like the sound of that. Hopefully something works out. The guy from partspitstop seemed to have an idea as well that he posted in another thread.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information