Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Click my Avatar for signature links, Polaris info
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    ... The guy from partspitstop seemed to have an idea as well that he posted in another thread.
    What guy?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    The word out is that PVL doesn't have any plans on producing any more parts for Polaris because Mother Polaris isn't going to support anything for them anymore.

So that means what is out and running or stored is all there is. So we need to find some sort of replacements....

One thought has come to my mind..at least for Domestics. My big question is what are the Knock Off China ones using? I know a lot of people read this forum, and maybe someone has one of these skis.

I think most China versions are 2 cylinders, so CDI's for triples would be out, but the LR 505's are the same on both Polaris twins and three cylinder, and maybe the China stators and CDI's for the twins may be an answer.

Also someone with the knowledge might want to start exploring if the parts could be rebuilt or duplicated.
    Email response direct from PVL:

Hello Chris,

Thank you for your e-mail.
    We still supply POLARIS with some spare parts from time to time, so they should have the parts available.
    Our problem is that we are not focused to the end customer and we normally produce on orders, that means that we will not start production without a significant volume and we will not have each part available in stock.

POLARIS got some different generations with the ignition/generator system for the PWC. As PVL has no information which component they used for what model, it is not easy for us even to look if we have a requested spare part.
    If you find a PVL or a POLARIS part

Best Regards
    Helmut Kornder
    Executive Manager

Am Farrnbach 10
    D-90556 Cadolzburg
    Germany

Tel: +49- (0) 9103 – 792 180

+1
    Sounds more like Polaris isn't interested in placing any more orders to me...........

+1
    That could be good news though. We just need to

A. Figure out how Polaris classified their orders, like what # they would use as a reference to PVL's part #, maybe someone could ship a few bad ones to PVL for identification?
    B. Find out the minimum number required for a "significant volume" and rough estimate for price on each specific unit
    C. Hope to God [whoever yours may be] that a vendor will step up (or even BE ABLE to financially) and place the initial order.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonrider10022 View Post
    That could be good news though. We just need to

A. Figure out how Polaris classified their orders, like what # they would use as a reference to PVL's part #, maybe someone could ship a few bad ones to PVL for identification?
    B. Find out the minimum number required for a "significant volume" and rough estimate for price on each specific unit
    C. Hope to God [whoever yours may be] that a vendor will step up (or even BE ABLE to financially) and place the initial order.
    I responded to the email and addressed your items A. and B. I'll update the thread with any response I receive....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    I responded to the email and addressed your items A. and B. I'll update the thread with any response I receive....

Nice.

+1
    Update from PVL:

Hello Chris,

Thank you again for your e-mail.

We already have a sales partner for PVL components in the USA (PENTON IMPORTS) and if they would like to handle also the POLARIS ignition components, then we will do it with them.
    I will start the negotiation with PENTON and I will let you know if there is a chance for you to step in.

Best Regards
    Helmut

http://www.pentonracingproducts.com/

Maybe Partspitstop or Watcon can contact Penton about setting up to distribute PVL components direct through Penton....?

+1

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    http://www.pentonracingproducts.com/

Maybe Partspitstop or Watcon can contact Penton about setting up to distribute PVL components direct through Penton....?
    Who and how this gets done on the US side is an important factor.

Back in the day Randy would have been one of the candidates to drive this.

Watcon is now John Zigler, with a somewhat different focus. I could not comment on whether John would want to get involved in what would be both a product development effort and a product distribution enterprise.

There is a LOT of effort and time required to make something like this come together. Somehow I doubt it is as easy as saying to PVL (via Penton Racing Products) "Make some more of those Polaris specification parts please."

I do not know whether Penton has an exclusive arrangement with PVL for the US, but it appears that they are not currently set up for distribution of non-custom product in volume.

That said, I do not have any idea how many domestic watercraft ignition systems Polaris has been selling each year. Figuring out the size of the potential market is of course critical information.

Each year there are more failures as all the existing ignition systems are another year older. As this stuff gets older more of it will fail. On the other hand, every year the remaining population of operational and potentially operational Polaris watercraft shrinks. How many machines get parted out or junked each year?

Polaris was apparently subsidizing the selling price of the Update Kits, which is why they were such a good deal compared to buying separate CDI and stator.

It seems reasonable to expect that the selling price of alternatively sourced ignition systems is likely to be much higher than the price Polaris was selling the Ignition System Update Kits for. My guess is that new kits would retail for well over $500 each, maybe a lot more. What is the market size for Ignition kits if they are priced near $1,000 each?

The issue is not the cost of the electronic component ingredients themselves (which also will be a factor), but the large up front investment (time, effort, money, commitment) and operational overhead which must be amortized over an uncertain sales quantity and time period.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Who and how this gets done on the US side is an important factor.

Back in the day Randy would have been one of the candidates to drive this.

Watcon is now John Zigler, with a somewhat different focus. I could not comment on whether John would want to get involved in what would be both a product development effort and a product distribution enterprise.

There is a LOT of effort and time required to make something like this come together. Somehow I doubt it is as easy as saying to PVL (via Penton Racing Products) "Make some more of those Polaris specification parts please."

I do not know whether Penton has an exclusive arrangement with PVL for the US, but it appears that they are not currently set up for distribution of non-custom product in volume.

That said, I do not have any idea how many domestic watercraft ignition systems Polaris has been selling each year. Figuring out the size of the potential market is of course critical information.

Each year there are more failures as all the existing ignition systems are another year older. As this stuff gets older more of it will fail. On the other hand, every year the remaining population of operational and potentially operational Polaris watercraft shrinks. How many machines get parted out or junked each year?

Polaris was apparently subsidizing the selling price of the Update Kits, which is why they were such a good deal compared to buying separate CDI and stator.

It seems reasonable to expect that the selling price of alternatively sourced ignition systems is likely to be much higher than the price Polaris was selling the Ignition System Update Kits for. My guess is that new kits would retail for well over $500 each, maybe a lot more. What is the market size for Ignition kits if they are priced near $1,000 each?

The issue is not the cost of the electronic component ingredients themselves (which also will be a factor), but the large up front investment (time, effort, money, commitment) and operational overhead which must be amortized over an uncertain sales quantity and time period.
    You may have just solidified my thoughts on fixing my new to me SL750 and flipping it for a different ski...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonrider10022 View Post
    You may have just solidified my thoughts on fixing my new to me SL750 and flipping it for a different ski...
    The blue Fuji engines are not an issue in terms of ignition system failures. Generally reliable engines and parts are still available, especially via the parted out channel.

The Fuji engines were used in other non-Polaris applications which also increass the supply options. As another owner said recently, these things are built tough!

Outside the engine the jet pump components are common across many model years, and can be rebuilt using standard bearings and seals.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information