+1

New Perspective, Thankfully.

Just wanted to help spread some perspective. I have been riding seadoos for twenty years in a almost every manner possible. I have led long distance rides (new York to Key west), ridden in surf, enjoyed the glass of an early dawn ride on freshwater, navigated through locks, and have even taken my young daughter for her first ride. Last Sunday I was riding in my home waters and in a split second my life was changed forever, while showing a visiting group around Great Bay I had an accident. I struck my riding partner, I was ejected from the ski and hit a bouy. When the ensuing whirlwind settled I found myself laying in a trauma room with cervical fractures very high in the c-spine. I could think of little but my wife, daughter, and family especially since my riding partner was my father. I am very lucky to report that I still have complete body function. Given time I will heal. My father is a little banged up but seems to be doing well.

What I would like to communicate to every one is that lightning can strike anyone, anywhere. Take the time for safety. Stick to established riding rules. Slow down, everyone already knows these things are some of the fastest craft on the water we don't have to prove it every time. Wear a good life jacket, you have no idea how important they are. Embrace the Coast Guard / Marine Police, these guys are pros and make all the difference in an emergency situation. I could go on and on my point is ride safely.

+1
    Glad your OK thanks for sharing. It might save a life..

+1
    Wow glad to hear you are going to be ok. Very sorry to hear about your accident.

+1
    Glad to hear you and your father are ok. Things can happen very very quickly out on the water, that's why I don't play with people riding close to me, etc..

Glad you are going to be OK and I totally agree with you,be safe out there.I traded my motorcycle in for my ski because its getting so bad on the roads but the water can be just as bad.

Well said and certainly a valid point. Glad to hear you're OK.

Glad your gonna be okay. I hung up the bike after some close calls, but the water can throw you for a loop too. I've been riding seadoos for 16 years and have been hit once, it's a scary experience, felt so naked and unprotected. I'm glad I was wearing a very good Seadoo life jacket, because I couldn't swim when I came back up. Hope you have a safe and speedy recovery.

+1
    Thanks for all the good wishes. Life is definitely different wearing a cervical collar but I can get used to it. I am healing already.

+1
    I have been told to start wearing a helmet by the Doctor if I ride again. Any thoughts?

Thread Information