Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

St. Louis area -Looking for honorable backyard mechanics

Long story short.. Did a bad trade with a piece of &^% on Craigslist and now I have not (1) but (2) Yamaha 2001 1200 XLT and Yamaha 2000 GP1200R with bad #3 cylinders and the XLT had water in engine at some point.. Yes, I know... Bad decision making skills demonstrated that day.. The look on my little girls faces said it all.

Need some advice all...

Would you make an attempt to rebuild, (assuming cores are good) or just scrap them and move on..? Lesson learned!

I'm not mechanically inclined or I might have entertained the idea of doing the engine rebuilds myself as a winter project. The sheer lack of any online videos showing jet ski engine rebuilds surprises me.

Anyone in the StL area that knows how to do ski repair and takes pride in their work?

Thanks in advance..

+1
    You might be able to tackle this yourself if you can't find someone to do it for you. There is 1000's of posts on rebuilding these engines and service manuals online.
    Here's one good post to get you started.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11134

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwkyamaha View Post

I'm not mechanically inclined .
    My father is greatest man I know but is also not mechanically inclined. He would'nt know difference and feel between a good bearing and a bad one. If you feel comfortable changing your own oil and doing brakes on your car, then those links cutlass posted along with required tools you can do it. A 2 stroke engine is the easiest one to open up.

If you wouldn't do your own brakes, no big deal, I think you are in the majority of population and it is best to know your limits and continue on the path you are on. A backyard mechanic who is fluent in jetskis will know what to look for and how things should "FEEL" while assembling. Even paying him you could save $$$ ,time ,and aggravation.

Goodluck either route you take

edit to add :
    Problems with carbs are one of the biggest causes of bad pistons on stock engines. Gummed up etc. If you are doing yourself or if you're having it done, unless your mechanic is fluent with carbs, I would recommend sending those to osidebill wfo or one of the sites other GURUS to be gone through. You'd hate to put it back together only to burn 3 again due to gummed up carb

+1
    Thanks for like Cutlass.. Fercho thread was one of the first I read through.. good stuff and thanks.

All good points Avi8tor.. 30 yrs ago I did do my own mech work because I didn't know my limitations..

I'm waiting for the local boat / pwc shop to finish their assessment. I have to admit after reading hours/days worth of threads here I am considering doing the 2 stroke rebuilds (2) myself and take this opportunity to get my girls involved with learning new skills. Make it a family affair..
    I'm almost looking forward to the challenge. If this is the path I take I will apologize in advance for bugging all the guru's on here for their priceless knowledge and trouble-shooting skills. I'll try not to where out my welcome.

I plan on picking the ski's up Monday/Tuesday and will get started on the tear down.

+1
    What's a good place to get reference material ( to rebuild not just engine but whole ski if need be) for these ski's? Yamaha 2001 1200 XLT and Yamaha 2000 GP1200R. What's the consensus for manual type, Ebay downloaded, Amazon paperback, other?
    thanks

+1
    I prefer free .pdf Yamaha service manual. Google "GPR1200 service manual." You should find it. If you have trouble, PM.

+1
    I believe I found the GPR.. but not much luck with the 2001 1200 XLT.
    Thanks Cutlass

PM me if you still need a tech in the St. Louis Area. I have a guy that will probably help you out - he is in Alton. I'd do it, but I have my own ski to rebuild this winter. He is a certified

hah - tech problems... He is a certified PWC mechanic that does some side work in his garage.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwkyamaha View Post
    I believe I found the GPR.. but not much luck with the 2001 1200 XLT.
    Thanks Cutlass
    I have a lot of service manuals but I can't find a xlt1200 manual either.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information