compression issues-desperate

I have had lots of issues with my ski including oil alarm which i still haven't figured out. But the more annoying problem currently is my compression. It read about 100 120 120 so i retarded the timing one tooth clockwise and read the directions carefully and tightened the chain tensioner down before the three bolts like it all said to see if it was right and i could sill easily turn the three bolts. So after putting it all together my compression is 100 120 120 roughly. Same. I marked the chain and the sprocket to make sure i turned it one tooth. Now what. The ski is cold when i do this but i dont see it going up much. And this is a rebuilt head due to the bad valves i decided to put the good ones in but i dont think it was worth it.

+1
    So it sounds like you set the timing back exactly where it was timed before. The cam timing gear will install in two locations. One gear tooth apart forward or backwards. With both locking tools in place and the tentioner installed before tightening the cam bolts you can set timing exactly the same regardless of the one tooth forward or backwards. Remember you just locked the cam and crank in the exact same location. I'll see if I can find Vern's thread on the timing.

+1

I thought the can positioning sensor made a difference, I'll be sure to read that thread well. Thank you. And another thing I noticed The second time I tried to time it I decided to run it to maybe warm the ski up to take compression gain and this time I think I heard the timing chain rattle and I shut it off or it shut itself of I don't know which one. Do the chain tensioners fail much?

Cam sensor makes no difference whatsoever. It either works or doesn't, has no effect on anything.

+1
    Try another compression meter.

My reading were around 130 psi,with my old pressure meter.

I had the same issue after rebuild,bought another better quality pressure gauge and all 3 cylinders were at 150 psi

This same pressure gauge read the factory settings to be 135 140 145 should I still get another?

+1
    Mine went faulty without any reason,worked great but i didn't trust the readings after rebuild
    and bought a new better quality one.
    I was relieved when i saw everything was fine.
    You might have another issue,but it's worth the try.

+1
    The comprssion will get higher if the cam is in the more advanced position. the compression lowers as the cam is retarted. you will get more top end speed in retarted position

I read a lot through that page and realize that the way i did it moving a tooth did nothing for me, well third time may be better. So if i tighten the chain while the bolts are loose with one tooth clockwise and with the 1503 marks perfectly aligned it will be the same both times. So i think i will get the 1503 marks aligned and than twist cam sprocket clockwise and than tighten. Where the bolts are now they have an equal gap on each slide so it looks like it could slip each way equally. And im not going for extra power i just want to know its right and reliable. Also when i ran it the second time i heard some timing chain rattle i believe. So i may have broke something anyways. I was hoping this wouldnt be such a problem my other ski is in pieces and if i cant get this im afraid i shouldnt try without help on the other one. The chain tensioner was really hard to put in by the way. It wasn't so hard the previous time.. Thanks for all the help
    Also might add i do compression testing without any spark plugs installed, i read that could make a 10 psi differnce should i leave all the spark plugs in (except the one cylinedr im testing?

Thread Information